The Planted Tank Forum banner

Moisture alarm?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  otter 
#1 ·
OK... after I re-setup my 46g bow and did a major cleaning of the filter I had a leak... I moved the tank (still mostly full) and had to pull up the carpet and pad. Then I thought I fixed the leak, so while the carpet and subfloor was still drying it leaked again where I had moved it too...nice one Dan.... anyways, now I have new carpet on order (I needed it anyway). In the meanwhile, is there a moisture alarm that anybody has been using and can recommend? I'm not taking the chance of this happening again... not on new carpet! Thanks

#2 ·
Down here in Houston, everybody has their water heater in the attic (I know that seems weird in MN, but it never really freezes here). The result of a leaking water heater can be catastrophic, and they all leak eventually.

I have a couple of little devices that are sold in hardware stores down here. It is basically a plastic box about the size of a cigarette pack (what's that?) with a nine volt battery and an ear-splitting speaker inside. Outside the box are two wires that lay about 1/8 inch apart. You have to induce a current between those wires to make the speaker go off.

Folks lay these in their attic near the water heater, on a 3x5 card or small piece of paper. If the paper gets wet, the water makes a connection and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks,
Rod

#4 ·
Bob's you uncle!? hehehehehe...... that's funny

#5 ·
Looks like that would do the trick... thanks.

#7 ·
That's hysterical! I already ordered four of the others though... thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.