The Planted Tank Forum banner

Algae in a Canister Filter?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lauraleellbp 
#1 ·
I was wondering if people get algae in their canister filters. I have an HOB right now that does get some algae growing on it at times so I have to pull it apart and clean it out. But if the canister filter is in a cabinet it's not getting any light so there shouldn't be any algae to clean out of it, right?

#3 ·
no light = no photosynthesis = no algae.

This is general - there are some water molds and weird-o algae that are non-photosynthetic, but for the most part - for those algae you should be concerned with - the above fake equation holds true.

This of course doesn't mean that you won't ever have to clean your canister, but it does mean you're not going to have an algae bloom in your canister.

#4 ·
I know that I will have to clean out the filter because it will build up with stuff that it is filtering out of the water, but I was just curious about algae. It seems that my HOB is kind of a algae breeding ground which makes it more difficult to take care of an algae problem in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.