The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which Eheim for planted 105 gallon?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  MoparMuscl 
#1 ·
I am out of town right now and I am worried sick that I am going to come home to a 105 gallon mess and a leaking Marineland C-360. I am going to buy a new Eheim, but need input. The tank will soon be heavly planted (as soon as I get my needle valve in) and will have a moderate fish load (angles, clown loaches, etc.).

I only want one filter, so I was thinking a Eheim 2260 or 2262. It will have a UV sterilizer and an inline heater plumbed in the outlet, so which would be better? Or is there a single Eheim that would be better suited for me?

#2 ·
I would go the 2262 as the only filter. Same specs as the 2260 jsut a bit more flow. I had one on a 150g and it was great. Holds a ton of media and only has to be cleaned a couple times a year depending on build up.

Well worth the money.

Craig

#3 ·
I know you mentioned that you only want one....but there are many benifits to having two. I currently have 2 2028's on my 120. One 2028 has the UVS on the output, and the other 2028 has the inline heater on the out put. Also when cleaning, I alternate cansiters...so one month one gets cleaned, and the other month the other gets cleaned, this way you never really fully distrurb the bacteria colony..theres always one the is undidturbed while cleaning.

Also Marine Depot has then for like 199 now...just a suggestion

#5 ·
These are all great points. Maybe I should be more open to 2 filters. I see that the 2028's are kits and include the filter media. I priced a 2262 and the cheapest I was able to get it and the substrate was $684 if I was using 10l SUBSTRAT pro and the rest of the stuff. $400 beats $700!

The only thing that stands out is the filter media size. On the 2260/2 there is 18/20l of media. On the 2028 there is 6l total if I run 2. Is there a need for the extra media capacity of the 2260/2? I'm not going to let this decision come down to cost. I wan't what is best.

#4 ·
I have to say I'm also a fan of double filters on a big tank. I have 2 2026s on my 125. Like timelessr said, Alternating cleaning is great, and if something could go wrong with 1 filter, you're not out of the water.
FWIW, you will probably need 2 inline heaters (depending on room temp).

With 1 filter, make sure you have good flow around the tank.

#6 ·
MoparMuscl With the coast of that would you consider a Nu-Clear 533 and a 547 with a 1 inch close loop with 2 leg with a valve for your Uv Light and Heater or a Ocean Clear filter with a 3/4 inch close loop but would need a High Pressure Pump to operate both filters.
I have a Eheim Pro 2 2028 and a Mag 5 close loop with a co2 reactor, uv light and heater and still don't get enough water circulation in my 110g tank. I pick up a Blue Line 55 HD High Pressure Pump on Ebay for $85. and order a Nu-Clear 533 filter from :
http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/Aquarium_Filtration_System_s/219.htm

#8 ·
I had the 2262 which is rated at 0 head of 925 GPH. I getting roughly 700 out of it. I had a spray bar on my tank on the left wall all the way across and made it run Left to right current wise. The thing is the size of a 5g bucket.

If you want 2 the 2028 are good little filters you want jsut one filter this would be the way to go with Eheim.

Craig

#9 ·
I agree that two would really be much better. Especially if you plan to have two things on the outlet line. You'll have better water circulation too. And in cleaning can alternate between one and the other ensuring you have sufficient good bacteria colony still going. I have an eheim 2026 and 2028 for my 72 gal. In the beginning I only used the 2028 since it supposedly is more than enough. Until I added that second unit I did not know how beautiful and crystal clear my water could really be! I only added the 2026 since I wanted to put an inline PVC CO2 reactor on the outlet line. The outlet line of the 2028 already had a Hydor inline heater.

Go for two. I think the bennies outweigh the downside of having to store and maintain two filters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.