The Planted Tank Forum banner

Jager heaters - submersible or not?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ggburke 
#1 ·
There seems to be conflicting information about whether or not these heaters are submersible. The packaging (outside of the box) says "submersible", however, the heater itself has a line that says min water level and then another one above it that says do not immerse beyond water level. The instructions that came with it go on to say do not submerge. I'm confused and don't want to die. Which is it? Submersible or not? I'm thinking not, but want to hear what you all have to say. Thanks!

#2 ·
I bought mine after Eheim purchased the company and I read all that conflicting info too.

Normally, mine aren't completely submerged but I haven't had any problems with them if I left them submerged for days. ThatFishPlace.com used to advertise them as not being submersible.

The biggest problem is that mine weren't calibrated correctly. I had to use a lab thermometer. You need to read the directions on how to calibrate them. One of mine was off by more than 10 degrees and the others were off by a few degrees.

#4 ·
I'm going to return it. Man, that's misleading. I totally agree about the GFCI's too!

#5 ·
They are and aren't fully submersible. It depends on the country and electrical code in force. In the USA they have to have the water line indication and a disclaimer. In, at least some parts of, Europe they can be sold as fully submersible. Many people run them fully submersed. I keep mine up, but count on the quality to cover any splashing or water slopping. I also use GFI units.

If you google ebo-jager submersible you will find long threads dedicated to this question.

#6 ·
Yes, they are completely submersible. You should have water up to the minimum line so that the heat does not cause the glass to break and the fish to get fried. I some times lay mine at the bottom of the tank, attach it to the back horizontally works great or mount it vertically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.