The Planted Tank Forum banner

What do you fill your (Rex Riggs) Co2 diffuser with?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  tylergvolk 
#1 ·
I am making a co2 reactor (Rex Riggs) style. I am trying to decide what to fill it with for optimal diffusion. Of course there's the typical stuff:

-bio balls
-sponge

What did you use?

#6 ·
Go with the original design that works. Many "improve" it and find they have trouble. The devil is in the details and most do not take the time to work out those small things like where the CO2 is put into the reactor. They try to fiddle with fittings and things that change the design and then they complain. Noise is caused by bad design changes.

#8 ·
I have two 24" reactors inline with Rena XP3 filters. One has bioballs, one empty. Each one has very tiny micro-bubbles blown into the tank, probably as a result of the flow rate. Overall they seem to perform about the same. For the one with bioballs, some day I may have to take it off, put water in it and shake out the debris, but there is a decent X-section of open area for water to flow through - I didn't pack them too tight.

#11 ·
Mine is not silent.

I've got it hooked up to the intake of a Eheim 2215. There is an inline heater on the outflow. At bps it's pretty loud.

Any ideas on how to make it quiet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.