The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval 406??

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Kdog 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I was looking for opinions on the fluval 406. I have been using one for a few weeks now and am happy with it but was told by someone that they tend to leak. That's the last thing I need.

#6 ·
At times we can do things that can lead most any filter to leak. That can be something as simple as trying to turn a cutoff the wrong way so that it breaks or failing to get a gasket fully placed. So I go for alarms to let me know as most leaks will be of the small type.
For a two dollar dishpan and a $12 water alarm, I sleep much better. I just look at it as an early investment in NOT replacing much more expensive stuff like carpeting.
This works well for me and the battery lasts forever if it is not alarming but just setting.
http://www.basementwatchdog.com/Accessories/Water_Alarm.php
I find it at the big box stores.

#8 ·
I have a 406 been running it on the 55 and plant to use it on the 75 no problems .
The things you my see are the main oring need to be lubed with silicone not petroleum jelly. I got it from dr fosters . As mentioned above if you turn it off with the flow stop mine drips a lil but never pours all over i run it wide open tho and only [censored][censored][censored][censored] it for clea ing every month or month and a half. It has plenty of media space and when its clogged and needs attention the flow slows down but not like the fluval hob filters.

#10 ·
Unless there is some special note in the instructions for your brand of filter, many of us do use petroleum jelly (brand name Vaseline) to lube things. It is what Eheim specifies in some of their manuals and it is something than many of us do have handy in the medicine box. Just one of those things that is too handy to ignore at the price.

Ehiem 2234 manual, page 11, item 36 for reference?
http://www.trilbytropicals.com/Eheim_manuals_Trilby_Tropicals/professionel_2222_2224_2322_2324.pdf

#13 ·
Hi tiggity. You do a maintenance every 3 months? I was thinking every month. This is my first canister filter. I always used aquaclear hob's and if that sponge got dirty enough it would actually lift the cover and media right out of the filter. Do you have a stocked tank? My 75 is stocked pretty good.

#15 ·
I have mine for two years now. After the first year the canister was making a clicking sound every so often. I found out it was a common problem at the time so I called the manufacturer and they sent me a replacement impeller cover. Since then I've haven't had any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.