The Planted Tank Forum banner

C02 for a 72 gallon bow front tank

996 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  klibs 
#1 ·
I was wondering I have 216wpg in my tank some say I need c02 I've looked and cannot find any c02 system for my tank any suggestions also is there DIY way to be cheaper for the pocket

#2 ·
get a co2 tank from the brewers or bar outlet company * restaurant supply *
look around for a defuser im running a huge pvc pipe on my filter outlet ( the reactor ) the rex grigs is nice for that . im also using a ph meter (Milwaukee sms122 ) which is about 125$ but i worry a little less with my fish .
really its all diy . you get the dropchecker on ebay a nice glass one not the cheap plastic one and 4dk solution and use the bromine solution *ph low* for the drop checker . then a regulator im using the reef fanatic brand with the solenoid brass bubble checker i hear they have inexpensive glass ones now and a few el chepo timers from the depot . the way to defuse the co2 griggs reactor or a membrane glass defueser or inline defuiser by up aqua .

just make sure your co2 is matched to your light output. and watch fish verrrrry close if they start to act strange or head to the surface your pumping way to much go slow the drop checker takes close to 2 hrs to change colors from blue to green then to lime thats when its getting too high .
i concider my tank high tec but there are way cheaper to do it , diy some stuff and just buy what fittings and such you need online or if a local has it try that .

#4 ·
You do not need CO2 injection to have a nicely planted tank.The suggestion that CO2 will be needed has to do with the light you want to use.
More light = more demand for CO2.
Raise the light up off the tank by at least eight inches, and this will mean less CO2 is needed.
It is the light that drives the demand from plants for more CO2 and with more CO2 comes the need for more in the way of fertilzers .
You can reduce the light intensisty by raising the light above the tank = less demand for CO2.
Most all plants will benefit from more CO2, but there are a few that will do fine in low tech method where lighting is not driving more demand for CO2.(less light,less demand)
Crypts,Vallisneria,Anubia,Anacharis,Water sprite,Ferns,mosses can all grow fine with low to moderate light and no need for CO2 addition.
You need to decide what type of planted tank you want to run.IMHO

#6 ·
While roadmaster is correct that you can certainly grow a nice jungle without CO2 you will limit yourself in your plant choices.

You will have trouble growing carpet plants / demanding stems without CO2. If you want the nice red / orange to come out of the more demanding plants I don't think you could manage without it. Very few plants with vibrant colors will show their best side without CO2.

Carpets simply don't grow fast enough to spread without CO2. Many have done it but it is much more difficult / takes a lot more time.

Basically CO2 allows you to use more light. In general more light leads to the best growth / colors in plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.