Selecting a mazzei for CO2 and closed loop filtration systems - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgymatt View Post
And Tom, don't you use an inline system on your 180, with external pumps and a mazzei or did you switch it out for a sump?
The mazzei is fine for in line applications using canisters, but, you have to be more careful, with sumps, much less so. Ask yourself why that might be.
Also, looking at the mazzei implementation/addition, the sump design is much easier, can use less electric etc.

Not the wrong thread at all.
Very applicable to the selection of a mazzei and CO2 misting.

Basically you can get more out of it and for less, while I decided to really pursue the canister approach, and I still use them etc, I also look at other systems and weigh the trade offs there, not everyone is going to need/want a 150Watt external pump, big OC canister etc.
Many use wet/drys or sumps.

I have both so I can compare notes.
I also have a nice O2 meter and a CO2 meter.
Few, if anyone here does.

My concern is more for the fish and the O2 levels/CO2 levels.
Some have rightfully warned folks about gassing their fish.
Not hard to do with a canister and mazzei.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #33 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

After much thinking I decided to try an all canister setup to see how much less Co2 I will need to use to get Co2 concentration high in my 90gal. This will be a perfect time to set the cans up since I had to tear down everything anyway and if I don't like them I can always reinstate my sump.

With the new change I had to redo my Mazzei loop to bypass the cans and put the enriched water after the cans. This was done for two reasons: As I was testing my earlier loop config I found if air injection was too high it caused an airlock situation which literally was forcing the water out the can. This I'm sure would not have been the case had I used Co2 at normal output to test but I chose to test at full Mazzei suction to see what would happen if too much Co2 got in. I saw what I needed to see and it concerned me enough to scrap that setup. I kept on thinking what if I was away and for whatever reason somethin freaky happened?

The second is pressure. I wanted to be able to pump as much water through my mazzei with the least restriction possible for max performance. While my pump is able to handle a fair amount of restriction with ease, my quick test earlier had me thinking of consistency as the filter gets more clogged.

Here are some pcs as I am setting up along the way:

Water enters the NU-Clear and exits the OC. If I decide to keep the Cans I will go all NU-Clear. They are inded superior to OC IMO.

The Junkie

Last edited by mrkookm; 08-25-2008 at 04:19 AM.
post #34 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Sponsor

post #35 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Orlando! I'm trying to follow Scolleys footsteps but mine is no where as elaborate as his . Mine is actually basic really.

BTW Scolley was right.... PVC fittings is expensive at this level

The Junkie
post #36 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Sponsor

You and I both Mr.K,

I have a new custom tank Im working on this week that will have the dedicated pump for the Mazzei....I have lots of plumbing to do.

I will post my build here as I go..
post #37 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Nice work Mr.K. Is the black piece a UV sterilizer? Why do you think Nu- Clear is better than Ocean Clear. Just curious.

Tom, I get your points now. Thanks for clarifying.

Matt
post #38 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Sponsor

It looks like Gamma UV, I hear people have trouble getting a good seal on those OC's..... How is your NC working out so far?
post #39 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Nice work Mr.K. Is the black piece a UV sterilizer?
Yes. Current Gamma 25watt UV

Quote:
Why do you think Nu- Clear is better than Ocean Clear. Just curious.
The main reason is its sealing for both the the air release and the main clamp seal. It is so much better and actually easier to work with.

The OC kept on leaking even though I put some elbow grease into tightening the lid. It was even more apparent when I was pressure testing the the lines by closing off the return ball valve and had the pump going, at 18psi the water was literally trickling constantly and I had to use a PVC pipe to knock it shut . I need more lengthy testing done but I'll do that tonight after I finalize my loop.

The same applied to the air release as well I had to use a wrench to tightening and because it is so tight I will not be useing that realease. I can see already constant open/close of this is going to make it fail.

I find it hard to believe that their canisters can't handle a pump with 39ft head pressure, but I think it's becoming more clear they were designed for smaller pumps. The NU-CLEAR has not sprung a leak under pressure but like I said I will test for longer tonight after new loop is finalized.

Other thing I like is the 1" In/Out ports.

helgymatt:

When my pump was in normal mode, operational pressures was 12~13psi, what is yours with the Iwaki?

The Junkie
post #40 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
How is your NC working out so far?
NU-CLEAR filter is top notch and the way to go if you are thinking of going with this type of canister setup.

The Junkie
post #41 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Very nice Mrkookm. I'm liking it so far. Although, I'm wondering if the flexible pvc works just like the rigid stuff in terms of primer and gluing? Also, is the the flexible pvc expensive and where did you get it?

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #42 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:32 AM
Sponsor

Spa tubing(pvc) is very nice because you don't loose flow. You have nice smooth transitions. No 90* Angles.
post #43 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Spa tubing(pvc) is very nice because you don't loose flow. You have nice smooth transitions. No 90* Angles.
So you just glue it like you would normal pvc?

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #44 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:46 AM
Sponsor

post #45 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Mrkookm,My pressure with my Ocean Clear is at 7. It was 7 when i set it up and it has been 7 after months of use. Also, I have had no problem with the seal on mine. Works like a charm. It think your pump must be much more powerful than mine. Also, I use the OC 340. If I ever get another one, I would try the NU-Clear, but thats not because I don't like the OC....just because I like to try new things

This OC and NU-clear talk makes me wish there was a thread dedicated to it. I found there was very little discussion about these filters on planted tank forums when I was trying to select one. Maybe we could change the title of the thread to include filter talk also??

Matt

Tags
mazzei, plumbing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode