Eheim Pro 3 2080 Weak Return - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Eheim Pro 3 2080 Weak Return

Just what the title says. I am getting weak return from this filter and it is brand new. I am starting to think now I know why it was on sale for $240 off. The return indicator is barely even showing in the green and the return out of the spray bar is weak.

I have shook it, reseated the head, removed the media and floss out of it. Pretty much everything you can possible try I think I have tried all morning, all day, to right now. I hope this isn't the best it can otherwise I am highly disappointed. Any suggestions of somethings to try that I may have missed?

-Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Try eheim customer support, and see if they can help you.

http://m.eheim.com/contact_us.php
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Suggest checking page 19 of the manual as it has just about all the points covered. If it has never run correctly, one would have to go back and read the points on setting it up. Have you checked the flow control? That would seem to be the first step for me.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:46 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

2080 is normally a beast, it should be throwing your plants around .
Any chance it is sucking air from a hose connection somewhere? I would also eyeball the impeller.

+1 on contacting Eheim.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Customer Support isn't an option right now with it being the weekend.

I have read through the entire manual several times and gone through all the troubleshooting several times. It is set up correctly. I mean I am not exactly new to the canisters. The flow control is all the way open and it is getting solid intake. I am not exaggerating when I say I have spent the past 14 hrs straight messing with this filter. Everything you can possible try I think I have tried.

Maybe there is something about this filter that is not in the manual that maybe I have missed?
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
2080 is normally a beast, it should be throwing your plants around .
Any chance it is sucking air from a hose connection somewhere? I would also eyeball the impeller.

+1 on contacting Eheim.

v3
Yeah I thought it was suppose to be a beast too.

I have looked for air leaks and there doesn't appear to be any. It is all plumbed with PVC except for my 6-8" of tubing to connect it to the filter. It is getting very solid intake. The return is just very weak and the indicator is barely in the green.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is a quick video I shot from my phone so sorry about the quality. It is getting very good intake but the indicator is showing for low return. No before someone says it is because of the inline equipment, just let me say. I would agree with that if this was a weak filter but it isn't. Also, since the indicator is part of canister, that should not be affected by the reactor, heater, UV.

What puzzles me is that since the indicated flow rate should not be affected by the things mentioned above, why is it showing a significantly lower flow rate? This would be an issue that is being caused at the canister. I could understand the low flow if the canister showed full power and then low flow but, this is not the case.

www.youtube.com/embed/zfJRgCTRRsA

Last edited by Texan78; 01-12-2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: link
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like a case of too much modification for things to work right! Have you tried removing the mods and going with the original setup to see if that is true?
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Have you tried removing the mods and going with the original setup to see if that is true?
Yes

The flow is low before it even gets to the inline devices so it should have no effect on the flow. Now if the flow was low and it showed full power on the canister than it could be easy to say it is cause of the inline devices.

I did test it by connecting the return straight to the spray bar and still same outcome.

It is like something is blocking it in the filter but I am not sure what. I have looked and looked and can't find anything.

Only think I can think of is it is sucking air some how from the pump head but I have added vaseline to the gasket and pressed down on it as hard as I could and reseated it and closed it back up. No change.

Maybe I do have one of the defective units after all.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think you are totally missing the issue on flow. The flow into, through and out of a canister all has to be the same. If the flow in is low, the flow out will be also. If the output is restricted, there will be no more water going into the filter than coming out of the filter.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I understand what you're saying but the flow is is not low. It is getting very good strong intake. The intake is the same size if not a little bit bigger than the Eheim intake so if anything it could be getting better and more intake flow. The output is not restricted unless there is something within the canister restricting it. They flow is being restricted at the canister, not after it. The indicator isn't showing strong power. If it was showing strong full power AND THEN weak flow then it could be contributed to the inline devices but, it is not. I have tested this by connecting the return straight to the spray bar, same results. I have bypassed my plumbing all together and ran the Eheim stock tubing and intakes which are the same size as the intakes I am using now, same results. The flow is being restricted at the canister, not after. There is something restricting the return from within the canister but I am not sure what because I can't find it. Like I said, I have spend now more than 14 hours straight trying to figure this out.

I guess I am just going to have to call Eheim and just use my Fluval 406 which works perfectly fine as I tested it with it as well. Only reason I wasn't going to go with the 406 is I won't be able to turn the tank over as much as I wanted to since it is only rated to 100G and this is a 90G tank and the Eheim is rated at 325G.

Last edited by Texan78; 01-12-2014 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Update
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You are still missing the point. The water going in has to equal the water going out.
Are you maybe talking about the velocity (speed) of the water coming out? That could be caused by having too many or too large openings for the output. If you use a spray bar with 5- 1/8 inch holes, the velocity of the water will be much higher than if you switch to a bar with 10- 1/8 inch holes. The flow will be the same but apparent speed will be much different.
Thinking of it as a creek, you may have seen the water looks like it is going really slow when the creek is wide but really fast where it is narrow.
If you want the spray to come out of the spraybar with more "force", close up some of the holes. Trying to improve the design put out by filter designers is a tough sell for most of us. We just don't have the qualifications and experience that the good filter folks have. They get more experience in a week than we get in a lifetime.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
You are still missing the point. The water going in has to equal the water going out.
Are you maybe talking about the velocity (speed) of the water coming out? That could be caused by having too many or too large openings for the output. If you use a spray bar with 5- 1/8 inch holes, the velocity of the water will be much higher than if you switch to a bar with 10- 1/8 inch holes. The flow will be the same but apparent speed will be much different.
Thinking of it as a creek, you may have seen the water looks like it is going really slow when the creek is wide but really fast where it is narrow.
If you want the spray to come out of the spraybar with more "force", close up some of the holes. Trying to improve the design put out by filter designers is a tough sell for most of us. We just don't have the qualifications and experience that the good filter folks have. They get more experience in a week than we get in a lifetime.
I will make this real simple.

Why does it work completely perfect with a good strong return with my Fluval 406 which is a greatly underrated filter compared to this Eheim?
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No explanation, but if you like one over the other, that is what I would suggest using. But the ratings don't really mean anything in this case. The ratings are done on the filters as designed. When they are modified, they are no longer the same filter.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Apparently you misread the part when I stated I even tried it with the stock Ehiem intake, tubing and spray bar and still had the same results and spent 14 straight hours troubleshooting it. I don't think you're reading what I have and I am posting. The ratings in this case mean a lot when there is one filter that is rated for 100G vs 425G and the 100G it outperforming the 425G under the same conditions.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this model filter come across this issue before?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode