Help me choose a canister - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Help me choose a canister

I really like the Fluval 406 new design but had one about 15 years ago that I hated because I could never get it primed and it was hard to close. From what I've read about the Fluval, those issues have been resolved.

A lot of people like the Eheim but I don't like the design. It looks like it would be top heavy and not easy to close.

I love the design of the SunSun but I've read here that a lot of people think it's cheaply built.

Any other suggestions?

This is going on a 75 gallon tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wouldn't recommend the sunsun.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kntry View Post
I really like the Fluval 406 new design but had one about 15 years ago that I hated because I could never get it primed and it was hard to close. From what I've read about the Fluval, those issues have been resolved.

A lot of people like the Eheim but I don't like the design. It looks like it would be top heavy and not easy to close.

I love the design of the SunSun but I've read here that a lot of people think it's cheaply built.

Any other suggestions?

This is going on a 75 gallon tank.
I use a eheim classic for 2 years and I like the design of it but you don't wanna do much maintance on it. it more like a vacuumed canisters once it seal tight, don' open it alot

If you like doing a lot of maintance, washing the media and all, then the fluval would be your way to go...easy open, easy prime and cleaning

Eheim Pimp Club #506
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower

I thought that Eheims looked top heavy too, until I filled a 2213 with water and remembered that H2O is extremely dense. I now think of it as bottom heavy, no issues with closing it either.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My ehiem 2215 - no chance for bypass, water in the bottom, out the top. Never had a problem sealing the lid or getting on or off. Super quiet, never hear it. The media (in my case anyway) isn't compartmentalized so eventually it just all mixed together. I don't really care, it's all bio media anyway. The stock hoses are great.

Several of my Fluvals (206, 205, 304) I find these harder to prime especially if I've left the canister empty. That little priming button also breaks The media compartments are nice, but I'm never sure if the water is going all the way through the filter. Sometimes my bottom media looks way too clean. The aquastop valves are nice but the stock hoses are junk. The first thing I do is change them over to ehiem hoses lol. Also super quiet. If I don't keep the rubber ring on the lid lubed I find the filter may leak, it's happened on a couple of them. Sometimes when it's on, sometimes when I shut it off. It stops leaking, but it worries me nonetheless.

Oh, I've also never bought a brand new filter!!! Fluval's used are easier to find, which may say something about ehiem's longevity.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My eheim's been running constantly for over 5 years now.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah my Eheim 2215 has been running for 4 years non stop and I've never had a problem. I back flush it every week when I do my water change. Only have to clean it every few months. Highly recommended.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How do you back flush it? You don't have to unhook it from the tank to do this?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

I have a AquaTop it's a good filter Iv never had a leak on it thay are quit and have big media trys it's been runing for over a year.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kntry View Post
How do you back flush it? You don't have to unhook it from the tank to do this?
You have to unhook from the tank. Open the lid, poor water through the top and let it drain out the bottom. Flushes out some of the gunge so you don't have to do a complete canister clean for like 6 months!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

No I actually just detach the intake hose and open the valve attached to the bottom hose into a 5 gallon bucket. The siphon pulls the water through the spraybar and flushes the canister from top to bottom and empties into the bucket. Works like a charm and keeps my canister super clean
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
No I actually just detach the intake hose and open the valve attached to the bottom hose into a 5 gallon bucket. The siphon pulls the water through the spraybar and flushes the canister from top to bottom and empties into the bucket. Works like a charm and keeps my canister super clean
Genius!!! And a water change!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Absolutely! Wouldn't do it any other way
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
I just did this today ,by accident though.....I was fiddling with my 2211 in/out
placement ,unhooked the out and syphoning started to happen.Luckily I had a bucket nearby ....then I lowered the spraybar to suck more water until the desired level.Refilled withe fresh and voila!water change!I can't believe I stumbled over this thread a few hrs later...

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

if money is not an issue i would go eheim.. i have a 2217 and its been going off and on for 15+ years.. i havent had to change anything but hoses and an o-ring once

Last edited by flukekiller; 01-12-2014 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode