aquatek mini CO2 regulator with selenoid?! What regulator are y'all running? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Exclamation aquatek mini CO2 regulator with selenoid?! What regulator are y'all running?

Hey just bought a 20oz CO2 tank today and I'm looking at buying a decent regulator that works fairly well it is not over priced and super fancy.

I came across the "Aquatek CO2 mini regulator with selenoid" and It looks promising. It's about $90 on amazon I beleive.

I also came across the "U.P simple regulator" that's like $20 but no selenoid...but is the regulator the same as the mini just without selenoid or is it better...

Do I need to look at different regulators all together? Let me know pleaassee )
Looking to buy it today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The aquatek has a good rep.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the aquatek, just because I've had bad luck with Chinese products.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496
25g 60-P iwagumi , 33g iwagumi cube, 125g high tech, 7g cube, 12g long

Last edited by exv152; 11-09-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: .
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

I have the aquatek you're looking at and I love it. I've been running for about six months now and I've had zero problems.

Just keep in mind the output pressure is fixed at 50psi or so.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Plant Clown

Plenty of Aquatek haters out there, and for good reason. Just do a forum search. But yeah, it would probably work for you.

The "simple regulator" isn't actually a regulator - it's just a flow valve. If you tried to put a solenoid on it, pressure would increase until it blew out the solenoid. Stay away from it.

I suggest getting a full-size regulator so you can upgrade more easily when you get sick of refilling paintball cans.

If you're determined to go cheap, the Aquatek premium or Milwaukee are decent bets. Remember that you'll need tubing, bubble counter, check valve, and diffusion method. Some kits come with some of those, others don't. $90 shipped for the Aquatek premium on Evilbay, btw.

Oh, and you'll need a paintball to CGA adapter if you don't go with a paintball-specific rig.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I only have a 10gal tank.
This is my first nature aquarium so I'm a little hesitant to spend $95 on a co2 regulator. But I also hate buying junk I'm gonna use for a month and then upgrade...

Is the output psi less on the aquatek premium than the aquatek mini? I'm only gonna need maybe 2/3 bubbles a second....can I achieve that with either of those?

WHICH SHOULD I BUY? SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY FOR THE PREMIUM?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Plant Clown

$90 is about as cheap as you'll find for a complete rig, paintball or no (CO2 cylinder is extra).

The needle valves on all of the cheapo models are pretty much identical (crap). 50 psi preset working pressure isn't horrible, but a higher pressure will make it more difficult for very precise changes without a good needle valve, which none of the ones that have been mentioned, have.

The premium has an adjustable working pressure.

I wouldn't stress too much about any of this. This is all lower-end stuff we're talking about, and you *will* upgrade at some point, depending on your financial situation and frustration tolerance. With the premium on evilbay i mentioned, you get a bubble counter/diffuser (both functional but crap). You'll still need a $15 adapter to use with paintball, though.

I don't think the mini comes with anything, but I could be wrong. Whatever you decide, make sure that you have the correct adapter (the mini comes with one), a bubble counter, diffuser, tubing, and at least one check valve. Those will add on to your purchase. Oh, and you'll need to be willing to run out to get a refill on the tank (you'll have at least a few days as pressure starts to drop) or get a backup can. My guess is a pb can on a 10g tank will last 3-4 weeks, give or take a bit.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a glass diffuser and a glass spiral bubble counter. Just received my Ray2 yesterday.
I also have a 20oz CO2 tank

so it's just the regulator that's in question now. So for a 2-4bps (bubbles per second) which regulator would be my best choice.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Algae Grower

I have one aquatek mini , so far so good.
better than other cheap paintball solution
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I'm leaning towards the mini regulator aswell. Does this unit hold the output flow without adjusting for a few days? What does everyone think of this?

Asuran, how many bubbles per second are you running?

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is what I use: http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=767

It works very well.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't go cheap on regulators, save up and do it the right way from the start. I would stay away from aquatek, Milwaukee, ect. Talk to old punk or bettatail they can help you out and are very knowledgable. Do not go cheap on regulators!!!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya, that's totally how I feel tetra. I really try to never go cheapy. You get what you pay for a lot of the time.

I feel like this regulator is the hardest piece of equipment to choose.....

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydonato View Post
I think I'm leaning towards the mini regulator aswell. Does this unit hold the output flow without adjusting for a few days? What does everyone think of this?

Asuran, how many bubbles per second are you running?
I'm running more bps than I can count on mine and haven't had to adjust mine more than once or twice over the last six months.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Your running more bps than you can count? That's odd...I'm confused...of course you haven't had to adjust it...your just pouring it out....or am I not getting something

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode