more water equals more better
there are pros and cons to using a " trickle " filter. FYI, its called a wet/dry sump.
-Adds more water to your system
-you can service the filter without disturbing the tank/fish
-Even a small sump can hold way more bio media than a largest hang on back filter (HOB)
-More bio media equals more better
-They are much more efficient at filtering the water than a HOB filter
-you can hide other life support systems in them ( heater, protein skimmer, temperature probe etc etc )
- The water level drops in the filter and not the tank when water evaporates
- Easier to set up a auto top off system with a sump
- it allows you to get the tank closer to the wall because there is nothing hanging on the back between the wall
- depending on your pump you can turn over the entire water volume more times per hour than a HOB filter can
- larger mechanical filtration pad, dont have to clean them as often as a typcial HOB filter cartridge because they are larger
- If you do it wrong you can flood your floor. (most) people ( including me ) usually learn this the hard way ( see notes)
- Higher initial setup cost than an HOB ( doesnt apply to you cause you got it for free )
hmm... cons... cons, cons... hmmmm, lets see.....
thats about it for the cons...
not pros or cons but just notes:
- make sure you have an anti siphon device to prevent the water from the outlet from flowing back into the sump when you loose power or turn the pump off to do maintenance . There are a few different ways of doing this, each with their own pros and cons, wont get into that now
- the pump you are going to need to get adequate complete filtration cycles per hour you are going to need is going to cause quite a lot of water movement, more than most people with planted tanks like, but a spray bar will solve this. you are going to want a pump that pumps about 600 gallons per hour.
- if you can, stand your heater up vertically in the sump, some heaters dont like being horizontal, like mine and it was was making me so frustrated when it wasnt working right.
- Put a cheapo LED light above your sump, it makes life a lot easier
i guess thats all for now!
if you want to see how my sump is setup, check out my video. This is a different sump desing than what you have because all the bio media is completely submersed, where your will have water raining down on the filter media.