120 4x2x2 flow. - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 599
120 4x2x2 flow.

Hi.

We recently bought a 120 gallon. We currently have a 55 setup with a Rena XP4 and a Rena XP2. These are both mature filters that will be put on the 120.

In the 55 they provided sufficient flow for the tank to not get build up.

I'm worried that on the 120 I will need additional flow.

Suggestions?

Should be noted that there will be a large shrimp colony in the tank, so I'm vaguely worried about powerheads.
larcat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: midwest
Posts: 226
If you have the renas and are happy with them, swap out the impeller in the xp2 with another xp4 impeller. This will give you the same flow as two xp4s.

You could swap out both impellers for RIO 2100 impellers which will provide you with more flow than two stock XP4s.

These are the cheapest solutions.

You could also add another XP3 for 103 from big als.

Zoomed makes a great powerhead the powersweep for around 30 that constantly rotates and they have a foam prefilter for it for 5 bucks.

The marineland maxijets 400 are on sale at big als for 12 a piece.

If you have the powerheads high enough and a prefilter on them I wouldnt worry too much about the shrimp.
mark546 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 599
Thanks much for the tip on the XP impellers.

I'm pondering a Hydor 750 I have laying around, or hawking craigslist for a used vortech....
larcat is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 2,043
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark546 View Post
If you have the renas and are happy with them, swap out the impeller in the xp2 with another xp4 impeller. This will give you the same flow as two xp4s.

You could swap out both impellers for RIO 2100 impellers which will provide you with more flow than two stock XP4s.

These are the cheapest solutions.

You could also add another XP3 for 103 from big als.

Zoomed makes a great powerhead the powersweep for around 30 that constantly rotates and they have a foam prefilter for it for 5 bucks.

The marineland maxijets 400 are on sale at big als for 12 a piece.

If you have the powerheads high enough and a prefilter on them I wouldnt worry too much about the shrimp.
Correct me if I'm wrong but how can you make a filter pump 200 more gph by just adding an impeller from a bigger canister? I don't even think a xp4 impeller will fit in an xp2 but I could be wrong again...
Please explain


EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Dx3Bash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 468
An XP4 combined with an XP2 should provide enough "filtration". The XP4 is rated up to a 265 gallon aquarium alone with the XP2 rated for an additional 75 gallons. If you don't want to add a water circulation pump like a Koralia 750 or similar, perhaps you should consider adding a large Hydro sponge filter with a powerhead. You get the benefit of additional filtration, additional circulation, and your shrimp will be safe.
Dx3Bash is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: midwest
Posts: 226
Its very simple they used the same pump head on the xp1,2,3,and 4 the only difference and why you see a difference in flow is the length and number of blades on the impeller. It is simply cheaper for them to use the same part without engineering 4 different pump heads, when they could use the same pump head, impeller shaft and magnet. The only difference is the impeller blade.

I assure you it works. Ive had an Xp4 impeller in my xp3 for about 6 months.
mark546 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark546 View Post
Its very simple they used the same pump head on the xp1,2,3,and 4 the only difference and why you see a difference in flow is the length and number of blades on the impeller. It is simply cheaper for them to use the same part without engineering 4 different pump heads, when they could use the same pump head, impeller shaft and magnet. The only difference is the impeller blade.

I assure you it works. Ive had an Xp4 impeller in my xp3 for about 6 months.
So you are in essence saying that an xp1 can pump 450 gph with an impeller from an xp4?

I find this hard to wrap my head around this because I've never heard such a thing, have you ever tried the bucket test to see how much real world gph you are getting on your xp3?
I'm not saying its impossible its just that I have heard you can exchange the impeller on the xp3 to a 4 but its not that much difference. Just going on what I've read.


EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 2,043
Can anybody confirm this in real world gph?
I might get a xp1 and a xp4 impeller if its true!
mott is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mt prospect
Posts: 919
people do the same for aquaclear filters. same motor but different impellers are the reason gph are different.

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
dprais1 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 2,043
Thanks but that doesn't answer my question, I know with other filters, Eheims you can swap a 2215 impeller with a 2217 but its nowhere near what gph mark is claiming, I know AC's use different pumps so an impeller isn't gonna make a big difference with them either.
mott is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 2,043
C'mon XP owners I know there are a lot out there.

Can anyone confirm the difference in gph when swapping impellers?
mott is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: midwest
Posts: 226
There is a long thread on another forum with measurements. 450gph will NEVER happen in any rena filter. That is an inflated number with no media from the manufacturer. With media You usually get around 170 gph around 150-160 with an xp3. Close to 200 gph if you swap the impeller from a rio 2100 powerhead (fits fine).

The motor on an xp1 is exactly the same. Keep in mind in an xp1 there is not a whole lot of media space. By bumping up the flow you decrease the contact time with the media.

If you find the thread with the actual measurements. There were two different posters one measured by a flow meter and the other with buckets. Im pretty sure its against the rules to link to another forum or I would.

193.54gph w/ the rio 2100 and 176.47gph w/ the stock xp4 impeller measurements from the other thread with media.
mark546 is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
mott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark546 View Post
There is a long thread on another forum with measurements. 450gph will NEVER happen in any rena filter. That is an inflated number with no media from the manufacturer. With media You usually get around 170 gph around 150-160 with an xp3. Close to 200 gph if you swap the impeller from a rio 2100 powerhead (fits fine).

The motor on an xp1 is exactly the same. Keep in mind in an xp1 there is not a whole lot of media space. By bumping up the flow you decrease the contact time with the media.

If you find the thread with the actual measurements. There were two different posters one measured by a flow meter and the other with buckets. Im pretty sure its against the rules to link to another forum or I would.

193.54gph w/ the rio 2100 and 176.47gph w/ the stock xp4 impeller measurements from the other thread with media.
Wow, only 176gph on a xp4? Seems pretty weak, I get that outta my 2217 which is rated at 264 I believe..
mott is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome