Please post your Ikea, Target, or other big box store stands and give some info - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Please post your Ikea, Target, or other big box store stands and give some info

Edit, I know many feel this is a bad idea but lets keep that to a minimum. I, and many others who have commented know what risks are involved, what risks are not. Lets limit the idea to 40-50 gallons, plenty of furnature can hold that. I just feel like every thread like this goes into the "caution direction" but I have already found a few great ideas from those who posted, while finding even more on my own.

I don't really know if this is the right place to put this thread but I would love to know what some of you are using for stands, outside of what you can buy at a retailer specific to aquariums, or DIY. Like many, I actually buy my furniture and would like my stands to match my decor within reason.

I, and most others, would likely rather hear what you bought that fits your tank very well, rather than I put my 5 gallon on a large dresser. However, feel free to post whatever you have. I would love to hear what standard sized rimmed tanks fit some big box store furniture, as well as other rimless tanks, odd ball sized tanks etc. The stand can be as important as the tank and a lot of us don't buy high end furniture for our places so big box store furniture makes sense for a lot of us.

Please post a full pic with stand. If you have it, please post a brand/store you can buy it with model number or any info. Lastly, if you don't mind measuring both the footprint and overall height, it would be nice.

I hope I am not asking to much here, I think it would be a great thread. I have nothing to offer myself, unfortunately.

Last edited by talontsiawd; 09-07-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Updateding/clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Planted Member

I use this for my 40B. Gives about 3 inches on both sides for extra space. Have to cut a hole in the back for cords and hoses to run through. Its where I store all my fish supplies.
http://www.justcabinets.com/ic280frm...1=500-504-CHES
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycofc1 View Post
I use this for my 40B. Gives about 3 inches on both sides for extra space. Have to cut a hole in the back for cords and hoses to run through. Its where I store all my fish supplies.
http://www.justcabinets.com/ic280frm...1=500-504-CHES
I would be nervous using something not made for aquarium use such as this because a 40 gallon can easily weigh 600+ lbs. I would rather know I wont come home to a destroyed home...
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

1g of water is ~ 8.3 lb

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
I would be nervous using something not made for aquarium use such as this because a 40 gallon can easily weigh 600+ lbs. I would rather know I wont come home to a destroyed home...
Stand is made from solid pine and can easily support that kind of weight. It is solid panels all the way around not some cheaply made MDF.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
1g of water is ~ 8.3 lb

v3
+ substrate which with a 2"ish layer in my 40 gallon is almost 90lbs.. then the tank itself weighs 58 lbs... then any equipment, decorations, hardscapes, plants,light fixtures, glass tops, etc...

There is a reason why stands made for aquarium use come with a weight rating... For this OP's 5 gallon there may be no problem at all... But I don't ant someone else here on the forum with a larger tank to purchase something like this for a large tank trusting advice of the forum and destroying an apartment or house... especially those of us who are not the actual owner of the property and rent.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could always strengthen it from within.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

Most pieces of furniture I see are much more solid than a lot of fish tank stands I've seen. I have been looking at thrift stores for a nice piece of furniture. I found a few furniture stands that are much sturdier than a budget aquarium stand. Most pieces are under $150. Anyway, I am going to pic up a nice stand for my Mr. Aqua 48g at the thrift shop. Probably cost at least $500 new. Has a few superficial scratches that I will need to fix but nothing major and matches my furniture.
Not sure how to upload pic.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ikea Josef metal cabinet. But mine is in white. Here is more info on it. http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00168990/
IME, it works ok... It is a little wobbly though. It shakes a little when I clean the tank. I've thought about re enforcing it to make it more stable. Otherwise, aesthetically it looks great and is a nice dimension for the Mini-M.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafins View Post
Most pieces of furniture I see are much more solid than a lot of fish tank stands I've seen. I have been looking at thrift stores for a nice piece of furniture. I found a few furniture stands that are much sturdier than a budget aquarium stand. Most pieces are under $150. Anyway, I am going to pic up a nice stand for my Mr. Aqua 48g at the thrift shop. Probably cost at least $500 new. Has a few superficial scratches that I will need to fix but nothing major and matches my furniture.
Not sure how to upload pic.

I agree. I always laugh when people get so concerned about using regular furniture for a tank stand. I have no problem standing on almost any furniture I own. The one exception would be the aquarium stand I purchased that should hold far more weight than myself. Most MDF stands I have seen are built more poorly than just about all but the lowest quality "furniture" available. I put that in quotes because most people would not care to put the furniture I am talking about in their homes. Also, a few 2x4's can go a long way without being intrusive or ruining the look of the furniture.

Would I be hesitant on using furniture for a 100+ gallon, probably, but I would also be hesitant on using anything but a solid wood stand as well.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Ikea Josef metal cabinet. But mine is in white. Here is more info on it. http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00168990/
IME, it works ok... It is a little wobbly though. It shakes a little when I clean the tank. I've thought about re enforcing it to make it more stable. Otherwise, aesthetically it looks great and is a nice dimension for the Mini-M.
frrok,
Thanks for your example. Can you do a favor and measure the top? It turns out my 6 gallon is 15 3/4 on the dot. Just want to make sure it isn't slightly too small as this would be the perfect stand for what I am trying to do.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I agree. I always laugh when people get so concerned about using regular furniture for a tank stand. I have no problem standing on almost any furniture I own. The one exception would be the aquarium stand I purchased that should hold far more weight than myself. Most MDF stands I have seen are built more poorly than just about all but the lowest quality "furniture" available. I put that in quotes because most people would not care to put the furniture I am talking about in their homes. Also, a few 2x4's can go a long way without being intrusive or ruining the look of the furniture.

Would I be hesitant on using furniture for a 100+ gallon, probably, but I would also be hesitant on using anything but a solid wood stand as well.
That is not what i'm saying... the cheap particle board furiture is exactly the furniture that the OP refereed to when he said IKEA, Target, or any other store like that..
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ClosetMaid. Four of the five tanks in my apartment are supported on ClosetMaid storage units (the ADA 60P is on a nite stand). I believe they can be viewed on my You Tube site. Works cause most of my furniture is ClosetMaid. Sad but true. Fits the decor of my MAN CAVE. lol

Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
That is not what i'm saying... the cheap particle board furiture is exactly the furniture that the OP refereed to when he said IKEA, Target, or any other store like that..
I am the original poster haha. I have about 1000 records in my Ikea EXPEDIT's, more or less. Never weighed them and different records weigh different amounts but that's about 400-700lbs of records on Ikea furnature. That's not on top where the strength is, it's on the shelves. Never had an issue. Vinyl records are far less forgiving than water as they only want to move side to side. Just an example of a lot of weight on cheap particle board furniture.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Granted, I'm usually one of the ones warning against furniture as aquarium stands, but I think it can be safely done.

Just make sure that the stand is close to the size of the tank, and that there is direct vertical support from the floor to directly under where the corners of the tank will be.

A lot of the problems from furniture come from people using a large dresser or something similar that doesn't fit the tank, so that the top shelf/support sags, and this will end up putting uneven stresses on the tank, possibly causing the tank to fail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode