The Planted Tank Forum banner

125 XH Lighting

797 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  flutterbug 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have 7 Discus I am growing out and I am considering getting a 120 XH tank for them. The height on it is 26"! I know shorter is preferable for planted tanks, and I find my 55 gallon to be the max height for ease of reaching the substrate. However I am wondering if anyone has had success with a tank this high? I am also wondering what kind of lighting it would take to give decent par? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated?

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
So I have 7 Discus I am growing out and I am considering getting a 125 XH tank for them. The height on it is 26"! I know shorter is preferable for planted tanks, and I find my 55 gallon to be the max height for ease of reaching the substrate. However I am wondering if anyone has had success with a tank this high? I am also wondering what kind of lighting it would take to give decent par? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated?
Depends on whether you're doing a high tech tank or low tech, and what kind of plants you're planning?

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Mark! I won't be doing LEDs although they make sense for the width of the tank. 60" light fixtures are rare and bulb choices are very limited!
exv I don't plan on using co2, from what I've read so far about Discus, I think low maintanance plants are going to be the way to go. So far this is a list of plants I think I will use.. unless they die on me of course...
Hygro angustifolia
Brazilian Pennywort
Crypts
Hoping Dwarf Sags will work for me in low tech
Would like Stargrass and Alternanthera reineckii, but not sure that will work in low tech
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Wisteria & Water Sprite to help keep the water clean but will toss later on if needed.
Maybe a sword if I can find one I like, I'm not crazy about the huge ones for some reason.
Want to stick with stuff that likes higher temps and preferably of south american origin, but I am open to anything that looks good really. I am probably forgetting something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.