What is missing from this regulator? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What is missing from this regulator?

I'm in the market for a CO2 regulator for my pressurized CO2 system. Can anyone tell me what this Milwaukee regulator is missing and if a replacement piece is available.
Thanks

eBay: Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, solenoid, bubble counter (item 180053353880 end time Nov-26-06 18:45:46 PST)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

looks like the pressure regulation knob. might be useable with pliers or perhaps serviceable from the maker. His discription notes that there is continuious clicking. This may mean that it is totally broken. possibly a defect. IMO I wouldn't touch it.
I'd go for this one instead if you want a low cost soloution

Pressure Regulator w/Solenoid
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the advice, I am looking at the regulator that you linked to as an option but also may go with a Milwaukee for a little bit more. I'm just trying to research everything throughly before I make the investment.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

"When I plug it in I hear a click that sounds like the solenoid."
Never says anything about continuous clicking. I think it just clicks once, indicating the solenoid has opened.

It'd be cheap as a spare solenoid, if anything.

General Tso: If I were you, I'd buy the regulator Blacksunshine linked you to right now. It's the cheapest it's been ever. Normally, its $75 @ Drs. Fosters and Smith. The Azoo is a great regulator.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm sure its not hard to get a replacement knob from milwaukee.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm also sure you can get a replacement knob from Milwaukee. Or, you could possible find a bolt that has the right thread size to screw in there. Then you could epoxy a "knob" on the head of the bolt and use it. The knob is not installed when you buy the regulator, so it probably just fell out of the box and got lost.

Hoppy
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
"When I plug it in I hear a click that sounds like the solenoid."
Never says anything about continuous clicking. I think it just clicks once, indicating the solenoid has opened.
You're right. I did mis read that. maybe my mind assumed the worst.

If there were other issues I wonder if Mill. would service it and for how much. may or may not be worth it. I'd say flip a coin. Or wait and see how much the auction is right before its about to close. If its still cheap it may be worth the risk. If its close to teh cost of a new one. I'd say just get the new one you are sure works.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

It looks like a preset regulator to me. There is no adjustment knob. Your best bet is to contact Milwaukee with the part# and see for sure.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

I have to agree the one on e-bay appears to have a preset regulator. Comparing it to the one from automated aquarium, they appear to have different regulators. GHaving said that, i don't want to imply that its wrong, just different. With a preset regulator you can loosen the lock nut and adjust the set screw. I've used these same regulators for other purposes at work. Its sometimes nice when theres the chance it might get knocked out of adjustment, either accidentily or on purpose.. If you want to change a preset to a knob adjustment or back, you just need to switch the adjustment knob for the screw. I've even used a standard machine screw and just filed, ground or machined the end to match the blunt end off the original screw or know.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No, I don't think its a preset regulator. It is just missing the knob when I checked the model # on the Milwaukee site. I'm not going to buy it anyways, because of possible defects. I'm going to buy a brand spanking new regulator. Thanks for all the replies and bid away on it if your interested. Going pressurized is a big step for me. My husbands says I'm crazy with all my "chemicals." (Ferts, and yeast are considered chemicals by him) I have to get my father-in-law to convince him that CO2 is not a flammable gas. I showed him on my cannister where it says so, but he thinks its dangerous for some reason. I'm going to lock it up under my tank, so my son cannot get to it.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

To the best of my knowledge, Milwaukee does not manufacture a regulator with a fixed, or "preset", working pressure.

The item in the eBay auction photo looks like it is missing the working pressure knob to me.

Mike
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just to be clear, CO2 IS a toxic gas, just not something you really have to worry about as long as you handle it correctly.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Pure O2 is a is more hazardous than CO2.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Regardless, CO2 is still a toxic gas and should be handled accordingly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode