The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pressurized CO2 Setup for Dummies

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Justintoxicated 
#1 ·
I am soon to be setting up my first pressurized CO2 setup, and I just want to make sure that I get all the right stuff and to make sure I have everything together.

I am getting a regulator, cannister, and CO2 tubing. Which is best for tubing? Nylon or polyurethane? What else do I need? A reactor and diffusor?

#2 ·
For tubing IMO the clippard tubing is the best stuff you can get but it costs.
Silicone is good, but as per Rex looses 6% per foot.
Regular Vinyl will crack eventually.
You will need either a reactor, or a diffusor, but not both.
Also you are going to want a good check valve. Regular airline check valves will develop problems over time.

Does the regulator come with a needle valve?

You can check out Rex's site for the tubing, check, and needle valve if you need.
CO2 Stuff For Sale

HTH

#4 ·
Taz, I have already checked Rex's site (I have it bookmarked), and he doesn't have any tubing for sale right now.

The regulator that I am getting can be found here, and it does have a check valve and needle valve--made by Clippard.

I may just go with a diffusor. Have any good ones in mind, or would a reactor be better?

attack11: I will look around for some.

#6 ·
Nice.
OK, I'm no expert, but it looks like it's got the good stuff on it.
<in Caveman>Clippard needle and check valve Good </in Caveman>

Personally In a big tank (> 30 gallons) I would go with a reactor. If you have a canister filter a DIY works nicely.

Soon, I'm going to try a diffusor for the first time myself on a 14 gallon.

#7 ·
Here's some CO2 proof tubing from Marine Depot. It's a little stiff and you usually have to put the end of the tubing in warm water for a bit to get it compliant and then it will slip on. Then it's on good and tight. It comes in three colors. I've used the black.
Aquarium CO2 Systems and Components (CO2 Regulator, CO2 Tank, etc.) - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store

Aquatic Eco-Systems carries the Tygon lab grade tubing. Use the 3/16" for regular use but use the 1/8" if you are using an Azoo regulator. It's sold by the foot or by the roll.
Tygon Tubing 1/8 (This url shows all the different sizes.)

US Plastics has a better selction of Tygon lab grade tubing that's a little cheaper than AES. Notice that there are different OD's for the same ID. The 3/16" ID comes in 1/4", 5/16", and 7/16" OD. Tygon® Laboratory Tubing R - 3603 - US Plastic Corporation

I use the Marine Depot tubing coming from the regulator to a brass check valve. Then I use the Tygon from the brass valve to the diffuser, reactor, etc. If the bubble counter has a check valve, I still use it this way. It's a little bit of overkill but I had some extra check valves.

#8 ·
i'd recommend an aquamedic reactor1000 if you go that route. it's a little more expensive than the usual ones, or building your own but trust me; it's worth it. you could make a similiar one if you can find the material for less obviously. it's not complicated.

co2 input, gas release valve and water input at the top. output at the bottom. clear tube + bio balls to breakup the co2.

the clear tube is useful for knowing when to open the gas release valve after you work on your filter, etc.

#9 ·
What size tank? Do you have a cannister filter? Have you considered a external inline reactor?.....DC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.