Center Brace Alternative - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Center Brace Alternative

I purchased a glass tank cover for a 40 gallon breeder tank (dimension 36"X18"). When the item arrived, it came in two pieces. I did not know that I ordered one for a tank with a center brace. What should I do if I don't want to return this item to avoid the hassle of shipping?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The glass canopies generally are two panes of narrow glass with a plastic hinge attaching the two. Did you see that in the box, along with a plastic grab handle with double sided tape? this would be a typical aqueon style lid.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

1. Buy a 40B with a center brace if you want to use that glass canopy. I hate center braces!!
2. Add three removable glass braces to the existing trim to support the glass canopy you bought. One on each end and one in the middle.
3. Sell it to someone who needs that particular style
4. See if the glass will fit on the trim so the lid opens widthwise rather than lengthwise. This method won't work if you light fixture rests on the aquarium trim or you have a wood canopy but will work if your light is suspended.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
The glass canopies generally are two panes of narrow glass with a plastic hinge attaching the two. Did you see that in the box, along with a plastic grab handle with double sided tape? this would be a typical aqueon style lid.
It's a Marineland brand and all the parts are present. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
1. Buy a 40B with a center brace if you want to use that glass canopy. I hate center braces!!
2. Add three removable glass braces to the existing trim to support the glass canopy you bought. One on each end and one in the middle.
3. Sell it to someone who needs that particular style
4. See if the glass will fit on the trim so the lid opens widthwise rather than lengthwise. This method won't work if you light fixture rests on the aquarium trim or you have a wood canopy but will work if your light is suspended.
I like the number 2 alternative. I called Lowe's and they sell and cut glass (picture frame grade glass). Could you recommend a dimension for each of the 3 pieces (one on each end and one in the middle)? Thank you.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-29-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would definitely use 1/8" thick glass, I don't know the thickness of 'picture frame' grade glass. I prefer to use a local glass company to cut my glass because they will finish or seam the edges so they aren't sharp. If that is not an option and the 'picture frame' glass is thinner than 1/8", you can laminate two thickness of the thinner glass by bonding them together with silicone.

I would use a 1" wide piece on either short end of the tank since it will be supported on three sides.

On the middle brace, I would try a 2" wide piece first as it should be able to support the glass canopy. Be sure to check how wide you will actually need the brace by dry fitting the glass canopy you have. You will want the brace wide enough so the lids have enough support.

You will need to measure the front to back dimension of the tank to get the proper length for the braces.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode