Considering a UV Sterilizer... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Considering a UV Sterilizer...

So, I've recently discovered that my fish tend to suffer from mycobacteriosis after reading an article by diana walstad. It sounds like a UV sterilizer helps prevent the disease from spreading.

http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/...ycoarticle.pdf

I lost all my rainbows (2 different species) a couple years ago and other fish as well over time. I would like to prevent this from happening again!

Here's what I have for the tank:
-48g bowfront
-sand/soil/gravel mixture w/ the intention of growing more plants
-eheim 2217 canister filter
-sponge filter
-finnex 36" led fixture (coming soon)

I've been looking at sterilizers and I want one that connects to my canister filter unless the submerged ones are superior in some way.

Can anyone shed some more light on this subject? Or even suggest a specific UV Sterilizer? I don't want to go too cheap with one, but something under $100 would be perfect for a low wattage unit.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

A inline UV will have too much flow for it to be effective in the ways you want it to be, not to mention most everything else too. It's all about dwell time, the water being exposed to the light. Generally lower the GPH the better.

Here's a pretty good article thats always updated, this being as of yesterday.

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/...ilization.html

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would say go with the aquatop in tank pumps but they have doubled in price over the last couple of months. Whatever you go for make sure it's at the lowest setting though as you want very low flow for the UV to do it's job properly.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

Hey snakeman1989-

I have been using the Green Killing Machine 9watt version for about 2 years now and it's still going strong. It has a low flow rate so it does a great job with killing pathogens. It is also rated for up to a 50gallon aquarium. I payed $50.00 for it at Petsmart. I would definitely consider this product for your needs I would run the uv-sterilizer for a week and make sure to keep your aquarium clean. I forgot to mention, giving your fish a well rounded diet helps their immune system significantly.
Best of luck with everything!

Last edited by FreshPuff; 06-12-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: asdasd
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post
Hey snakeman1989-

I have been using the Green Killing Machine 9watt version for about 2 years now and it's still going strong. It has a low flow rate so it does a great job with killing pathogens. It is also rated for up to a 50gallon aquarium. I payed $50.00 for it at Petsmart. I would definitely consider this product for your needs I would run the uv-sterilizer for a week and make sure to keep your aquarium clean. I forgot to mention, giving your fish a well rounded diet helps their immune system significantly.
Best of luck with everything!
Petco has it right now for $40 and looks interesting. Does it have adjustable flow?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not going to get into the full details within this post but offer a guide link. The myco issue you are dealing with and what D.W. has put forward in the linked write up while on topic contain gaps on the full detail of really dealing with it. Fish don't gain immunity as one point researchers at UF will disagree with.

AquaUV 15w units will work great to aid in limiting problems but after months of reading research and with the aid of several doctors working in the field I suggest you clean your system and restart. Otherwise you'll never be clear of the original problem.

Consider reading this:
http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/s...ad.php?t=30800

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just read some of the info on the angelfish forum... Now I truly do not know what to do. My tank is currently sitting empty in the basement, but sterilizing everything including substrate, already established sponge/canister filters, and plants sounds like a nightmare. Nor does it sound like it would be quick.

I must say that I do feed my fish a varied diet often.
I do know that the UV Sterilizer will only help prevent the bacteria from spreading even in a clean, established tank. That's what I'm going for. I know I cannot treat the fish and completely get rid of the problem.

I am wary of the Green Killing Machine since online reviews tell of it shorting out or being very difficult to clean. I can get one for $40, which might not be a bad start. I plan on having the tank setup for a long time though, so I'd rather have a unit that may be more expensive but cheaper to replace specific parts.

Has anyone had luck with the Turbo Twist sterilizers??
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, i bought the turbo twist right after it came out over a decade ago, and still use it. I use the 9 watt paired with a rio pump at the moment. I also use a aquanetics 18 watt on a 180 gal.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've used the 9 watt JBJ Submariner UV for several years in my 75 gal, and have been very satisfied with it's operation. Stand-alone unit, compact, easy to clean/change UV bulb. A great piece of equipment.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you're looking for a UV take Wkndracer's advice and go with an Aqua UV. They're an item where you get what you pay for.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I looked for the JBJ and found a SunSun filter that looks exactly the same.

http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-JUP-01-Sterilizer-Submersible-Filter/dp/B008ADUVWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371081283&sr=8-2&keywords=jbj+submariner+uv+sterilizer http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-JUP-01-Sterilizer-Submersible-Filter/dp/B008ADUVWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371081283&sr=8-2&keywords=jbj+submariner+uv+sterilizer

Looked at the Aqua UV as well and that might be my first choice.
The turbo twist ones sound like they would work just fine, but I'm not so sure about Coralife products anymore. I've had two t5 fixtures that keep blowing bulbs, which I've replaced and they subsequently burned out within a shorter period of time.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
If you're looking for a UV take Wkndracer's advice and go with an Aqua UV. They're an item where you get what you pay for.

This. I have an Aqua UV HOB run by a minijet
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman1989 View Post
I lost all my rainbows (2 different species) a couple years ago and other fish as well over time. I would like to prevent this from happening again!
Connection problems caused me to lose a detailed reply (hate that )!
If this system has remained wet even without fish at any point the threat myco is still just that,,, a threat. (not opinion but fact)
If you donít break the system down and completely (and correctly) disinfect it please respect the hobby by treating it as a closed loop system. A closed loop system in this context meaning that anything that goes into this tank doesnít come back out to be shared with anyone else. No fish returned to a pet store, traded or sold. No plants or trimmings sold or given to another hobbyist. Even heaters, filters, hose, rocks and nets, anything thatís splashed water in a myco tank needs to be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before it can see use anywhere else or it needs to land in a trash can.
Whenever you are done working in the tank wash with hot water and a good soap followed by wetting the exposed skin with greater than 70% rubbing alcohol for roughly 1 minute. Unless your immune system is compromised the risks are extremely low aquatic myco will transfer but it is still considered a risk within the medical profession. Mycobacteriosis is the worst threat to our hobby Iíve encountered to date. AND the most misunderstood. (Ignore 99% of what you read reported on the web)

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

At this point, the tank has been taken down and dried twice within the past 2 months. I had to tear it down before due to a leak and before I moved. It's sitting in my basement now dried up.

The gravel has been washed and sits dried already, but I'm going to use mostly new substrate when I set it up again. The existing gravel I use, if at all, I will probably boil it or rinse it with hot water and vinegar possibly.

I've always thoroughly washed my hands after working in my tanks, however I usually work on multiple tanks simultaneously and don't wash my hands in between tanks. That is a problem!

Are there any other good, recent sources I could look at about the Myco problem? I really want to understand fully what's going on, especially if it is very prevalent in tanks.

I will keep in mind the closed-loop system. In theory, does drying any possibly affected items (such as rocks, nets, filters) effectively kill any of the bacteria? I would assume since it is an aquatic bacteria, that drying everything out would destroy any aquatic bacteria unless they go into some sort of dormant stage.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman1989 View Post
Are there any other good, recent sources I could look at about the Myco problem? I really want to understand fully what's going on, especially if it is very prevalent in tanks.
What we are talking about is "micro", "itty bitty" bacteria and it's tough as nails so no, dried out for a week or a year I wouldn't sleep good at night without further cleaning knowing what I've learned since being confronted with a known exposure last year. Myco is everywhere in many forms but a few are problem makers, those are the focus point.

The reason traditional bleach treatments won't work is because myco has a cell wall that is very resistant to oxidation. Coated with biofilm it can survive dry a very long time. The only points covered in my thread on TAFF II (in my posts) are fact based. I do have more presently and need to update but no time to do it. The links contained in that thread are the most current in public release. How do I know that? I've met and currently receive guidance from the following people regarding anything I post about myco:

Dr. B. D. Petty, DVM. (Primary)
Aquaculture Extension Large Animal Clinical Sciences, CVM
Program in Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, SFRC
University of Florida.

Dr. Thomas B. Waltzek
Department of Infectious Diseases and Pathology
College of Veterinary Medicine

Dacelin St. Martin, MD, FAAP
Board Certified In Pediatrics
Board Certified Internal Medicine
Board Certified in Sleep Medicine
Specially Trained in Anti-Aging

Dr. St Martin published the following:
Mycobacterium Marinum in Connecticut.
Report of four Cases Connecticut Medicine Journal 2003; 67(2): 333-335

Emerging Significance of Mycobacterium Avium-Complex Infection in an Inner City Hospital.
Journal of Connecticut State Medical Society (Connecticut Medicine) June 2002, Volume 66, number 6, Page 323-330

Also presenter on the following:
Trends and Clinical Significance of Acid Fast Bacilli Isolates at a US teaching hospital.
Presented at ACP/ASIM 2000 Spring Session Connecticut Chapter.
Also Presented at Science Symposium 2000 at Bridgeport Hospital.

Mycobacterium Marinum Disease: A Case series Report and Literature Review. Presented at ACP/ASIM 2000 Spring Session Connecticut Chapter.
Also presented At Science Symposium 2000 At Bridgeport Hospital.

I have complete faith in the information I am being provided and posting for reveiw.

Last edited by wkndracer; 06-14-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: 2 finger typing + 0 time

Tags
sterilizer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode