The Planted Tank Forum banner

Filter Upgrade Questions

533 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  xiaoxiy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm currently running a marineland C160 canister filter with coarse sponges, ceramic rings, bioballs, purigen, and a micron pad on my 30 gallon planted.

I've ordered a Eheim 2217 which should come in in the next few days, and was wondering how I should transition from my current canister to the eheim.

Should I take my current bioballs, which I think might be inferior to the eheim biomedia but still has my bacteria on it, and ceramic rings and put them in the eheim, or is there a better way to go about it?

I'm slightly worried because I don't want to go through another mini-cycle, especially with how my tank is stocked. I have 13 rummy-nose tetras, 8 green neon tetras, 14 neon tetras, 3 otos, 26 amano shrimp, 3 nerites, quite a few ramshorn snails, thus a minicycle could prove to be disastrous.

Regards,

Xiaoxi Yang

#4 ·
I would "seed" the eheim filter with as much established media (bioballs, ceramic, etc.) as possible from the old canister. If anything you'll experience a mini cycle... Nothing major. But that's the fastest way to get the BB to migrate and re-establish.

Edit: probably leave out the purigen for a bit until you're fully good with your parameters. You can "recharge" the purigen meanwhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.