The Planted Tank Forum banner

Filter outflow surface agitation

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  puopg 
#1 ·
I had a question on Filter outflow. So i had a pretty bad day on sunday, broke 3 things, filter outflow pipe, inflow pipe, and impeller shaft of filter because of my carelessness. Pretty sad but luckily i had backups for a 2nd tank i was planning. Since i broke the filter outflow, i had to get a new one. In the moment i decided to get the Do aqua poppy pipe. At the moment, I have the outflow near the surface to teh point there the water is kinda like HOB'ing out and providing nice surface agitation. Needless to say, my flow has taken quite a hit. For sure, i have the surface agitation to help with oxygenation, but is teh reduction in flow worth it? Particles will still move about the tank, though much slower. Also, how little flow can i get away with? Thanks guys

Just wanted to add, the poppy pipe combined with my cerges reactor provides much less directional flow compared to my DIY ADA lily pipe. Even fully submerged the flow is pretty slow.

#2 ·
I'll let those with more experience weight in - but I will share that I recently came to the realization that it really doesn't take much surface agitation at all to ensure enough oxygen for your fishies.

Especially with a planted tank and the o2 that the plants give.

I'm slowing coming around from the "if it ain't splashing, it aint' oxygenating" way of thinking. I'm surprised at how little surface agitation is needed, actually. I've currently got my cannister output below the surface only making gentle waves, and the fish seem perfectly happy. Even small neons are way at the bottom, hanging out in low-flow areas; no signs of gasping whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.