The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lily Pipes for a 20L?

772 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mumford 
#1 ·
I'm still a little confused on the purpose of lily pipes, but people seem to love them over spray bars.

My first question is would lily pipes work on a 20 long? It's 30" long. Would an eheim spray bar work better?

Second question is what would be a good brand to start with? Quality but not the ADA price if you catch my drift :)

Any help would be awesome.

- Mumford

#2 ·
Hi Mumford, forgive me if I am telling you things you already know. HTH.

I use lily pipes to reduce the visual impact of submerged equipment. I have a double set in a 3' tank with 2 x eheim 2217's. I also have a small set of pipes in a 9 gallon nano for an Eheim 2213. I like the quiet as well which you don't usually get with a spray bar.

I do not see why they would not work on your tank. Placement is important as you need to encourage the water in your tank to flow around the tank which brings nutrients to plants and detritus to your filter suction location. Have a search on this site using words like flow or current.

In any case, you need surface movement for oxegen exchange. Airstones, lily pipes and spray bars all do this.

There are a number of suppliers but I found the cheapest reasonable quality pipes available on eB*y. Look for Aquatic Magic. Check dimensions as well so it suits your intended installation location.

Cheers, BigfellaJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.