The Planted Tank Forum banner

Filtration

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  taylor775 
#1 ·
How important is filtration is a planted setup. I have an african cichlid setup and I know filtration is the most important but I heard its diffferent in a planted setup.

thnks

#2 ·
I believe...in my opinion...because I came up with the reason myself without asking anyone else...that it is very important because if there are a lot of plants...then there should be a lot of other build up that will comes of it. If you ever go to the woods or something during fall that doesn't have a lot of evergreens...you'll notice a lot of leaves and stuff. I'm bad at giving these examples so don't say anything :p

My point is that...more plants...the more things will fall off of them over time. We lose hair...they lose leaves. So eventually without it...you'll see alot of broken leaves covering the bottom later. Its bound to happen and if you haven't noticed...for some weird reason i'm not sure of yet...many water plant leaves don't rot well...or take a LONG time to decompose. Anyhow...from what I gathered...if you're going to get a filter...just use the sponge and not carbon...because plants already clean the water...you just need the sponge to catch any leaves and stuff. Thats why I hear a lot of people here use canister and dry/wet filters...cause of their ability to filter more loads of waste.

AGAIN....I'M NOT COMPLETELY CERTAIN OF ANY OF THIS...SO ....ALRIGHT :D

Nate

#3 ·
FWIW Here's my opinion on it.
In a Fish only tank Biological filtration is more important than Mechanical.
In a heavily planted tank, Most of the biological filtration is handled by the plants. Most people only use some bio-media (sponges, balls, glass beads, etc), and floss (pillow stuffing, brand name filter pads, etc…)

One thing to keep in mind is that when some of these plants grow full size, the water circulation in your tank will get cut way down.

#4 ·
Thanks, I am going to start a 100 Gal planted tank. Right now im only working on a 29 gal until I get my feet wet really good. I think my filtration on my 100 Gal is way too much for a planted tank (2 x filstar xp3's and 1 marineland tidepool 1). Maybe i will just use the two filstars on the 100 gal.

Thnks for the info.

#5 ·
Water Circulation is critical - and a heavily (my tank is very heavily planted) planted tank will block an amazing amount circulation. I have 264 gph (2217 - listed for aquariums up to 159 gallons) on a 58 gallon tank - and can barely see the water move anymore. That said, mechanical filtration is nice.

#6 ·
taylor775 said:
Thanks, I am going to start a 100 Gal planted tank. Right now im only working on a 29 gal until I get my feet wet really good. I think my filtration on my 100 Gal is way too much for a planted tank (2 x filstar xp3's and 1 marineland tidepool 1). Maybe i will just use the two filstars on the 100 gal.

Thnks for the info.
I think you are n the right track there. I've got 2 2026's on my 125 with inline CO2 reactor, and UV.

The tidepool is really a wet\dry, and I think not needed for a heavily planted tank.

#7 ·
Don't really need any

Hello,

I have been going essentially 'filterless' for 3 years in my planted tank (20 gallon and 55 gallon). I just use a powerhead for circulation, and a sponge to strain the intake. I've gone without the powerhead on at all for months at a time, and haven't noticed much difference. No Ammonia/Nitrogen byproducts detected ever. I usually plant some type of grass for the bottom as a ground cover and this is my mechanical 'filter'. I think CO2 is important for dispersing CO2 and insuring your heater is adequate. When I'm uprooting plants, etc, I haven't noticed any difference if I'm unfiltered or using a HOB before the water clears up.

I just don't see a benefit in going with anything more than just providing circulation, unless you're going to be lightly planted with slow growers and low light.

#9 ·
tazcrash69 said:
I think you are n the right track there. I've got 2 2026's on my 125 with inline CO2 reactor, and UV.

The tidepool is really a wet\dry, and I think not needed for a heavily planted tank.

Yeah thats what im thinking. I have been reading alot of people threads and looking at their tanks and setups and noticed that filtration is taking a second seat to a planted setup.

:)

#10 ·
there is soo much info to absorb when it comes to aquatic plants in an aquarium. I figure i will start out with the easy stuff and then gradually move to the higher end.

It might take me awhile but it will be worth it. Im soo tired of looking at all sand and rocks with my tanganyikan setup.

#11 ·
This might be covered at rexgrigg.com but keep in mind that this advice is more for a "planted" with a significant (>50%?) quanity of plants. If you are keeping africans (I believe they can eat plants) with a couple of anubius adjust accordingly.

taylor775 said:
How important is filtration is a planted setup. I have an african cichlid setup and I know filtration is the most important but I heard its diffferent in a planted setup.

thnks

#12 ·
BlueRam said:
This might be covered at rexgrigg.com but keep in mind that this advice is more for a "planted" with a significant (>50%?) quanity of plants. If you are keeping africans (I believe they can eat plants) with a couple of anubius adjust accordingly.

The only cichlids that have problems with plants are the malawi type, mbuna in particular. I forgot to mention that my 29 Gal in my daughters room is a regular community tank. I have 3 rainbow sharks, 2 Dwarf Gouramis 10 neon tetras and 5 barbs. My 29 gal in medium to heavily planted.

I'm trying to slowly phase out my cichlids in my 100 gal but not right now.

#14 ·
Rex Grigg said:
The Tidepool will cause you to lose lots of CO2 once you get to that point.

Spend a few minutes reading my Guide.

I figure if I either keep the tidepool than I will have to increase my co2 of i decidemto get rid of it than I should be ok without increasing too much co2..

Im kind of leaning on keeping my tidepool. My wife would get pissed if she seen me not using it. Its bad enough that I already spen enough money on my two tanks. Getting rid of the tidepool would just give her more fuel for the fire..

LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.