Aquaclear biomax - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Aquaclear biomax

What is the purpose of the aquaclear biomax that came in my filters box? Is it necessary? I have had my tank for a month or so now and it is cycled so should I add them in? Is there any point? What do they even do?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Algae Grower

Biomax gives important beneficial bacteria a place to colonize. As water passes by and through it, the bacteria eat/neutralize nitrates and so on. I'm sure someone has a more accurate definition, but I have it- or something like- it in all 5 of my filters.

29g heavily planted SA: driftwood, Ram, Angel, Tetras
10g Tang: rock w/anubias, Caudpunk trio
8g Nuvo: Cherries, driftwood, java moss and fern
10g 3x divided Betta planted

Dana

LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

Re: Aquaclear biomax

That is one of the most important part of the filter in terms of bb. If you didn't have those in during the cycling process and you don't have another fitter running you need to add them before you add fauna. You might want to restart the cycling process too.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I guess I will add them in if all they do is provide a surface for the bacteria to grow on. I just didn't want extra chemicals in my tank. I thought they were something else. Will some of the bacteria grow on there even though it must already have enough in other places to support my fish? I just wanted to make sure all the stuff did was let bacteria grow on it. Where is the best place in the filter for it?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've used AC filters for years. More than 10 years. Never once have I ever used the biomax and I've had dirty fish and I've had tanks over stocked. Never once have I had an issue. I'd recommend a second sponge. Two sponges will 1.) Double your mechanical filteration 2.) Provide way more area for bacteria to grow than you'll likely need.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurufuru View Post
That is one of the most important part of the filter in terms of bb. If you didn't have those in during the cycling process and you don't have another fitter running you need to add them before you add fauna. You might want to restart the cycling process too.
This is completely wrong. If you cycle your tank without them and you have a filter with media (sponge), you're fine. Even if you want to add them after the cycle, you do not need to recycle the tank. That's completely incorrect. Just add them. In a week or two, the media will be seeded with bacteria and it won't change anything in the tank in the mean time.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So the biomax is optional? If I add it in it will just improve the surface area for bacteria to grow on and potentially make my aquarium able to have slightly more fish or a more stable bacteria colony? I am a little confused at this point.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I've used AC filters for years. More than 10 years. Never once have I ever used the biomax and I've had dirty fish and I've had tanks over stocked. Never once have I had an issue. I'd recommend a second sponge. Two sponges will 1.) Double your mechanical filteration 2.) Provide way more area for bacteria to grow than you'll likely need.
++1, listen to this advice.

the problem with many of these biomax rings etc is that they depend on water flow through the tiny pores. and because these pores are so tiny they get clogged very easily. When the pores get clogged the only effective area is the surface, so not that great.

foam doesn't generally have this problem, I used to run three foam blocks in my AC and nothing else.

I would recommend using Poret foam instead of the AC foam blocks because the new blocks they sell get very brittle after 5-6 months and need to be replaced. IME. Poret foam seems to last forever.

--and bacteria in your AC will convert ammonia to nitrIte and nitrIte to NitrAte.

You won't find bacteria that convert nitrAte in you filter.

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtilley View Post
So the biomax is optional? If I add it in it will just improve the surface area for bacteria to grow on and potentially make my aquarium able to have slightly more fish or a more stable bacteria colony? I am a little confused at this point.
So the biomax is optional?
Yes, optional.

If I add it in it will just improve the surface area for bacteria to grow on and potentially make my aquarium able to have slightly more fish or a more stable bacteria colony?
Yes, but it is still a poor choice compared to a second (or second and third) sponge filter.

75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all your input. I decided to put it in the filter incase anyone was wandering. I figured it couldn't hurt anything.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've ran ceramic rings for years on my filters, which i think bio max is too? Anyways, never have i had any clogging issues people talk about. Bio-film buildup to that degree is usually the result of letting biofilm build up which takes a food source per say, which is usually over stocking, under filtration, or not proper weekly maintenance, or a combination of them. You dont specifically need water flow through it, just around it which any filter will obviously do. The whole thing is porous, not just the center. I also use matrix, it's a great bio media, but i also use sponge as well.

I find sponge tends to pore clog more easily, and you should every month squeeze them in and shake in treated water. I love it though like all my biomedia. Having several media's is always better then one.

Having more fish will depend all on the tank size, species kept, and lastly filtration yes.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aq are very flexible to meet ur specs
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use a pre-sponge on my intake, an internal sponge, 2 bags of biomax, ammonia remover and purigen in my ac20 on a 10 gallon tank. Im sure half of it is not needed but thats the best part of ac filters you can put whatever you want in there. I put the ammonia remover behind the intake tube you can put the biomax there and double up on the sponges.

Last edited by kingjombeejoe; 04-17-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: yup
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
I use a pre-sponge on my intake, an internal sponge, 2 bags of biomax, ammonia remover and purigen in my ac20 on a 10 gallon tank. Im sure half of it is not needed but thats the best part of ac filters you can put whatever you want in there. I put the ammonia remover behind the intake tube you can put the biomax there and double up on the sponges.
I really like that idea never thought of putting media in the intake tube chamber. I'll put some K1 in inlaws intake chamber

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Curious, what exactly is in the input chamber of your AC?

Isn't putting in ammonia remover counter-productive? Shouldn't the BB be able to handle this? What exactly is Purigen?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode