Need help ASAP with CO2 set up - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Algae Grower

Need help ASAP with CO2 set up

Normal is subjective. I think it all depends on how your system is designed. My system uses a more efficient way of delivery so I don't need to use a lot of output. The Parker website (http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...EEDLE%20VALVES)
says that their valves can handle operating pressure of up to 150 psi unless otherwise noted. I would check the model just to be sure. If you only recently added the diffusor that could be the problem. It may not provide the resistance that the previous one did or it could be faulty. I have had several faulty ones myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by byork View Post
Normal is subjective. I think it all depends on how your system is designed. My system uses a more efficient way of delivery so I don't need to use a lot of output. The Parker website (http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...EEDLE%20VALVES)
says that their valves can handle operating pressure of up to 150 psi unless otherwise noted. I would check the model just to be sure. If you only recently added the diffusor that could be the problem. It may not provide the resistance that the previous one did or it could be faulty. I have had several faulty ones myself.
It's actually a metering valve but they seem to be able to handle a lot. And no I've had the diffuser a few weeks, worked fine until today

- Mumford

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Algae Grower

Well IMO it's the valve or the diffuser if you have ruled out leaks etc. Also a blockage i.e. Teflon tape could cause problems with the valve packing, ferrules etc. You could just dial back the pressure from the regulator open the valve and try again.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

What's in your bubble counter? Mineral oil can kill an atomizer.

You checked all of the connections in the tubing, all over the bubble counter and all over your check valve? The gas is going somewhere... Just not in your tank.

An easy way to rule out your metering valve is to remove the tubing from your bubble counter and make a range of adjustments and see if it functions as expected.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Well IMO it's the valve or the diffuser if you have ruled out leaks etc. Also a blockage i.e. Teflon tape could cause problems with the valve packing, ferrules etc. You could just dial back the pressure from the regulator open the valve and try again.
I'd agree its one if those. I'm soaking the diffuser in H2O2 to hopefully break up anything that might be in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
What's in your bubble counter? Mineral oil can kill an atomizer.

You checked all of the connections in the tubing, all over the bubble counter and all over your check valve? The gas is going somewhere... Just not in your tank.

An easy way to rule out your metering valve is to remove the tubing from your bubble counter and make a range of adjustments and see if it functions as expected.
Nope it's just water

Yup I checked everything and no leaks. I checked twice. I took off the diffuser and stuck the tubing back in the water and the bubbles do actually react from my adjustments.

Seems like the diffuser is all that's left?

- Mumford

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 AM

If, without the diffuser, the bubbles entering your aquarium are (about) the same as those that you observe in the bubble counter, one would conclude that it was indeed, your diffuser.

In any case, at least you seem to have solved the problem.

On another note, I think you have a single stage regulator and a dual stage regulator. I do not know of any dual stage regulators that screw on to a CO2 cylinder from the back (the size also seems quite small).

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Based from the pic I believe it is a single stage Milwaukee regulator.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

scratching my head...

if there is no leak, and regulator output pressure stay the same, but the flow(bubble rate) rate jump, only means the back pressure(pass the metering valve) drop significantly.

Did you wait at least 5 minutes to get the right bubble rate after you adjust the metering valve?
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
If, without the diffuser, the bubbles entering your aquarium are (about) the same as those that you observe in the bubble counter, one would conclude that it was indeed, your diffuser.

In any case, at least you seem to have solved the problem.

On another note, I think you have a single stage regulator and a dual stage regulator. I do not know of any dual stage regulators that screw on to a CO2 cylinder from the back (the size also seems quite small).
Well actually the bubbles are going out at a much slower rate than the bubble counter when I had just the tube in the water. Could there be something wrong between the bubble counter and the diffuser? Maybe some blockage?

- Mumford

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
Based from the pic I believe it is a single stage Milwaukee regulator.
It is indeed

- Mumford

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
scratching my head...

if there is no leak, and regulator output pressure stay the same, but the flow(bubble rate) rate jump, only means the back pressure(pass the metering valve) drop significantly.

Did you wait at least 5 minutes to get the right bubble rate after you adjust the metering valve?
That seems like the most spot on description this far. Any idea what could have caused it?

I usually waited at least a few but this valve seems to adjust pretty fast. It was hours of adjusting last night though since I was fiddling with the damn thing

- Mumford

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Algae Grower

That would indicate a leak. Were you able to check the top of the bubble counter with soapy water without turning it?
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man, I would definitely drop that working pressure some.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
That would indicate a leak. Were you able to check the top of the bubble counter with soapy water without turning it?
Which part indicates a leak?

And yes I checked that soaked the upper but with soapy waters and it just sat there, no bubbles at all. Should I try taking it apart and reattaching it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
Man, I would definitely drop that working pressure some.
What would you recommend?

- Mumford

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Algae Grower

Honestly I wouldn't even use a bubble counter. They are notorious for messing stuff up and mostly for aesthetics. If you feel like you need one try a cheap in line type.

What type of check valve do you have between the metering valve and the bubble counter?

The drop in pressure/output between the bubble counter and the end if the hose indicates a leak. Although the size of the bubbles at each location is probably different so you need to take that into account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode