Constant Water Drip - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Constant Water Drip

Hi all, I figure I better ask the question before flooding my house.
I am playing with the idea of constant water drip. Typical household RO water can do a multi stage filtration plus reverse osmosis at 100+ gallon per day. I figure 5% tank volume daily should be a good number to start with.
With my setup below, do you think it will work ?
Another thought, at 5% daily water change, is it possible to omit the conventional aquarium filtration process, no hang on back, no canister whatsoever ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Constant WC.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	118794  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

are you saying you want to use the 4 stage RO system as your tank filter?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are you draining water anywhere? Or are you thinking about allowing the motors of the filters push water through the RO system?

If it is the latter, you will burn your motors up. RO systems work through pressure. That back pressure caused by the RO filtration will cause motors to burn up as far as i see..

I may be wrong, but that is definitely something i would not do.

You would be better plumbing it into the wall with a outlet and inlet for water changes

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I read my 1st post again. Oh man, it did sound like I am using that multi-stage filter as the only filter. My bad.
The aquarium filter and domestic water filter are 2 separate systems.

The design was mainly to add a constant water changing module to the tank. Which consist of a household RO unit, say set at 5 gallon per day. And an overflow drain to sewer. (or an outdoor planter if there is one)
The overflow is via simple gravity feed. The RO unit works with water pressure in house plumbing.
But towards the end of my post, I started thinking, since I am changing out 5% of the water daily, dirty water is constantly replaced by clean water, could I omit the conventional aquarium filter at all ? Just a thought.

I thought about it some more, now, I think the 5% daily rate is not enough percentage to omit the filter. At 30% RO water daily it may be possible. But that's a big waste of water.

Ammonia builds up constantly as well, filters are running at 200%+ turn over rate per hour to keep up with ammonia. Therefore it is best to have some kind of aquarium filtration system installed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Re: Constant Water Drip

Depending on the size of the tank I would think. In my 125g, I wouldn't have a problem setting up for maybe 10% daily...its heavily planted though, so the plants do a lot of the actual filtration. I would only keep the filter going in order to keep the water moving.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Subscribed! I've thought about this, but wouldn't need the RO step, as my well water is perfect.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

FIlters also give you more water movement.
@ 5% of the tank volume per day there is essentially no water movement.

If you decide to omit the filter, at least add a power head, or more than one PH to keep the water circulating.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Constant Water Drip

I would do 1g per day and still have filtration, would keep the water a lot cleaner and at a constant water level.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Algae Grower

You will want to work out a way to re-mineralize the RO water to whatever TDS/GH levels you desire your tank water at. Preferably before the RO(DI?) water enters the tank.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxx View Post
You will want to work out a way to re-mineralize the RO water to whatever TDS/GH levels you desire your tank water at. Preferably before the RO(DI?) water enters the tank.
This was my first concern. RO is too soft, which will kill your fish and plants.

My second concern is that 5% is not going to be enough to handle the ammonia, which is one of the MAJOR functions of your tank filter. I would not kill the canister.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Constant Water Drip

R/o is neutral, and will not kill your fish :p thats what I change my water with
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Algae Grower

I was under the impression that you need to reconstitute RO water with minerals. Pure water would cause your livestock to explode due to osmotic pressure.

If you do re-mineralize the RO, you'll want to re-mineralize it leaner than what you want in your tank. Some of that 5% your putting in is going to be devoted to replacing evaporated water. When replacing evaporated water you want to replace with pure water if possible because evaporated water does not carry minerals out of the tank with it.

If you have a closed top you will have so little evaporation that my previous paragraph is pretty much useless. It applies more toward open tops where evaporation is significant.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Re: Constant Water Drip

Here's a video of it done on a ray tank and explained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrJ3...e_gdata_player

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Planted Member

I used to run a flow-thru system like this on my discus tanks. With 100% daily drip I still ran filters, I can't imagine how much flow you would need to omit them. With proper dosing this would be awesome, been thinking about setting one up for a planted tank myself.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitmate View Post
Hi all, I figure I better ask the question before flooding my house.
I am playing with the idea of constant water drip. Typical household RO water can do a multi stage filtration plus reverse osmosis at 100+ gallon per day. I figure 5% tank volume daily should be a good number to start with.
With my setup below, do you think it will work ?
Another thought, at 5% daily water change, is it possible to omit the conventional aquarium filtration process, no hang on back, no canister whatsoever ?
Way way back I used a system based upon this idea [ continous water changing] like nature does. I used a gravity feed with plain tap water. It worked. As someone pointed out you'll need to add minerals to the water because water without minerals is poisonous. That includes drinking it.

Assuming your tank is heavily planted, yes you can remove any filter you have because plants do the filtering. You don't find filters in natural environments. Water movement is important though.

Are you on wellwater or municipal?

Adding in co2 to make your ph fall to 6.6-7 [ slightly acidic to neutral] will magically change that ammonia into ammonium which is easily utilized by plants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode