New 75. Right equipment? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

New 75. Right equipment?

Finally taking the plunge and building my first planted tank. This forum has been an excellent resource and I'd like a second set of eyes before I start placing orders.

The plan is to start out medium light with fairly hardy plants but still have room to grow if I want to up the light output and try a more demanding scape.

75 gallon Oceanic systems tank and stand (already acquired)

AquaticLife 48" T5 HO 4 Lamp with Lunar Light
X2 AquaticLife 54W 6500K T5 Bulbs
X2 AquaticLife 54W 650NM Roseate Bulbs
- 2-3WPG for medium to medium high light

Blueline 55HD pressure pump 1,110GPH. ~700GPH @ 4' foot head + equipment
Inland Seas Nu-Clear Model 533 25 micron canister & carbon filter
- I plan on replacing the carbon with other media (ADA Bio Rio, Tourmaline F)
Hydor ETH 300W In-Line Heater
Coralife Turbo Twist 12x UV Sterilizer 36W
ADA Lily Pipe Outflow P-6 17mm
ADA Lily Pipe Inflow V-7 17mm
ADA Clear Hose 17mm

Green Leaf Aquariums Ultimate CO2 Regulator
5lb Aluminum Cylinder from local welding supplier
Atomic CO2 Diffuser In-line
High pressure CO2 resistant tubing from local welding supplier
Brass check valve
Cal Aquaa "Pearl" Drop Checker

ADA Power Sand x4 9L bags (includes Bacter 100, Clear Super, Tourmaline BC, Penac P, Penac W)
ADA Aqua Soil - New Amazonia Normal Type x4 9L bags

Thanks in advance for all the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

I guess I expected people to look at the equipment and point out anything that was out of sorts. I'm looking for feedback on things like.

Will this fixture provide enough light or not enough?

can I substitute the filter media? Why or why not? What other media recommendations do you have?

Am I completely off base with my GPH of 700/800? Is that too much for a 75g planted?

Is the heater sufficient to heat a 75g?

Is the UV sterilizer effective at 700-800gph?

Is there a better inline defusor / reactor?

And last but not least. Did I post this kind of thread in the wrong section. Is that why all the views and no responses?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like a well thought out plan. I suspect 4 T5HO bulbs would be super high light though. Have you looked at the charts on the sticky in the lighting forum?

If the brass check valve just pushes on the tubing I would pass. Get the kind that you push on and then a nut screws down on top of that. Tubing can get brittle and start leaking if is just pushed on.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kathyy.

I'm glad you think it sounds well thought out. I'm afraid I'm gonna get knee deep in this and realize I made a critical error.

I never thought about that with the check valve. Probably a good idea with the atomic diifusor. It requires a working pressure of 30psi and pressure rated tubing.

I'm not sure if my calculations are right on the WPG. I'll try and find the sticky. I wanted a fixture that had some versatility. I thought If the WPG were "high light" then I could run it with 2-3 bulbs until I was comfortable enough to push the envelope.

I'm also not sure how to setup all the plumbing. The Lily pipes, external pump, canister filter, heater, diffusor, uv sterilizer all seem to have different inlet and outlet sizes. Ranging from 1 inch down to 5/8 inch.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Planted Member

Bastion for the lights I personally wouldn't worry too much. Does the Aquatic Life have multiple switches? If this is the case you can run a timer and have peak hours. Have you looked at catalina lights? I was originally going to go with aquaticlife for my 75G but have decided to go with Catalina - catalinaaquarium.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

This AquaticLife fixture has a built in three channel digital timer. This eliminates an excess of electrical cords and timers. I can set it up for a noon burst and it also has built in lunar LED's. I really like this feature since the majority of my tank viewing time will be spent in the late evenings.

Why did you decide to go with the Catalina?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That sounds like some nice features on the lighting fixture all right.

For the various tubing sizes see the hardware store for couplings. And a dip in a little boiling water will convince tubing to go on a fitting one size too large as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Sounds like a well thought out plan. I suspect 4 T5HO bulbs would be super high light though. Have you looked at the charts on the sticky in the lighting forum?

If the brass check valve just pushes on the tubing I would pass. Get the kind that you push on and then a nut screws down on top of that. Tubing can get brittle and start leaking if is just pushed on.
i do have a bulb on my 75 gallon. its a tek fixture with nice reflectors. fixture is hung about 12 inches above the tank water level. PAR is around 110 at the substrate. its bright but manageable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode