Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ashford, Kent, England.
stop messing with the filter!!!
Your filter was designed by people who seriously know what they are about.
5 days is not long enough. If your previous filter was inefficient at removing particulate matter if will take a while for your Ehiem to sort it out.
When I installed my Pro 3 on my 450L tank it took about 5 weeks. After install it was only 2 weeks before I needed to service the filter as the polishing pad was clogged. Next time it was 3 weeks. It's now been running for 8 weeks and still does not need cleaning.
A few pointers.
1. Use the Ehime polishing pads. I don't know about the States but on this side of the pond you get 4 pads and a pre filter for £10.80. (Part No. 2616710)
2. When replacing the pad service to whole filter, over wise the pad will quickly clog again.
3. You need to stir the surface of the water. Either position your spray bar just below the surface and aim the jets up at a angle so as to agitate the surface or, if you can put up with the noise, just above the surface for maximum agitation.
4. Clean your gravel on a weekly bases. Don't use a gravel vac that puts the water back in the tank.
5. Patience is a virtue, God give it to me quick.
If you are feeding algae flaks, some brands, whilst being excellent nutrition, tend to produce large amounts of "dust". If this is the case try another brand. I recommend Aquarian. Don't know if you can get them in the States.
Be lucky M8.
Last edited by Delexboarfoot; 03-19-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Reason: adding info about food.