The Planted Tank Forum banner

2217 too much for a 60-P

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Rcfan08 
#1 ·
Just wanted to get some thoughts from everyone.....

Is an Eheim 2217 too much filter for a 60-P?

#6 ·
Glad to hear that. So long as it wasn't a bunch of "No's" from everyone ill go ahead and pick it up then. I was able to get one for $100 with everything included barely used for 2 weeks after hurricane sandy. And if it is too much I'll just throw it on the 55gal.

#10 ·
Article about flow rates in different types of aquariums.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=135

Pulled from article

"Another factor in flow rates to consider is filter media type. Biological and chemical media often work better at a rate of 4 times an hour or less. But if the flow is less than one time per hour, perhaps due to filter material being clogged, it could deprive biological media of life-giving oxygen, possibly causing a sudden release of toxins. Mechanical media, on the other hand, performs optimally with a higher flow rate, so a good balance between the two needs to be achieved depending on the media type and amount contained in the filter."

They seem to be in agreement that these extreme flows are more or less for mechanical filtration which is more important in a large fish stocked tank and reefs to move things around more compared to a planted tank that most of the filtration once mature is in the tank and only needs a gentle flow.

#13 ·
For filtration, I feel that bigger is better, mostly because then you don't need to add circulation pumps to get reasonable flow to all parts of the tank. I know this is kind of backwards, but I hate clutter.

Also, bigger filters tend to need to be cleaned less often. Call me an ugly American if you want, but we are talking about fish tanks, not 1950s automobiles . . . :)

#14 ·
The only issue you might have is placing the intake pipe on the 60p since the 2217 intake is 17mm and the lily pipes tend to be longer for that size. With a 13mm ADA P-2, P-4 or P-6 outflow(much better flow characteristics than the Do!aqua counterpart) and Do!aqua 17mm VV-3 intake (bigger slits than the ADA, doesn't clog as easily) you'll be set. Deciding which outflow size to go with is going to depend on your scape. The P-6 is going to be much more dispersed than the P-2 which tends to have stronger, more directed flow. Up to you though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.