Please help me choose which outflow lily pipe - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
The smallest poppy pipe is a little larger than a golf ball, def. smaller than a tennis ball. I have it on my 60H, but I think it might be a bit large for a mini-L.

I'm using the cal aqua nano fluxus on my girlfriend's mini-L and I'm not a fan. The way the flow is directed (down) blows away the soil and sand sometimes if the flow is too strong. Same situation with the violet pipes.

For a smaller tank like a mini L, I would go for either the do!aqua jet or ada mini jet pipes, or try to find the regular looking lily pipes. these I think are the best because the flow isn't pointed down, so you don't kick up your substrate.
Exact answer I was looking for! Thanks for your help. I figured the violet and the fluxus would create a problem with the down flow. May I ask what filter you have on the mini-l?
Knicolas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
I'm using the cal aqua nano fluxus on my girlfriend's mini-L and I'm not a fan. The way the flow is directed (down) blows away the soil and sand sometimes if the flow is too strong.
I'm looking at the Cal Aqua Nano fluxus pipes


and the outflow pipe looks like its pointing upwards. But you're saying that it actually directs the flow downwards??? Damn, I was going to get those pipes (because it looks like it points upwards)
Jello is offline  
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello View Post
I'm looking at the Cal Aqua Nano fluxus pipes


and the outflow pipe looks like its pointing upwards. But you're saying that it actually directs the flow downwards??? Damn, I was going to get those pipes (because it looks like it points upwards)
If you follow the main pipe, you'll notice it doesn't "curve" the water up. The top of the opening actually sits above the water so that it can skim the top protein layer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just taking a wild assumption.
Knicolas is offline  
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicolas View Post
I've asked GLA when they'll be getting more fluxus sets in and they said by next week. I'm glad I've had to wait for them because I would have just ordered them without putting much thought into it. Which led me to this thread.
+1 on this! I also received a response from GLA saying their fluxus set should be in no later than two weeks as of 3/4/13. I'm thinking of getting it for my ADA 45-f
TitanLH is offline  
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
IWANNAGOFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicolas View Post
Exact answer I was looking for! Thanks for your help. I figured the violet and the fluxus would create a problem with the down flow. May I ask what filter you have on the mini-l?
I used an ehiem 2232 ecco. I'm not a huge fan of the classics because they're harder to prime.

The nano fluxus does point down, and because of the single suction cup, and the placement of it, it causes it point even more downwards... not sure if I make sense here.

Actually, thinking about it again, maybe the fluxus nano would be great on a mini-L since it's a taller tank. I used it on a 60F too and that was no bueno
IWANNAGOFAST is offline  
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
I used an ehiem 2232 ecco. I'm not a huge fan of the classics because they're harder to prime.

The nano fluxus does point down, and because of the single suction cup, and the placement of it, it causes it point even more downwards... not sure if I make sense here.

Actually, thinking about it again, maybe the fluxus nano would be great on a mini-L since it's a taller tank. I used it on a 60F too and that was no bueno
Didn't you say that you used the fluxus nano on your girlfriends mini-l?
Knicolas is offline  
post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 173
Does anyone know the difference between the Do!aqua JP-1 and the ADA Mini P-1?

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...products_id=79

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=736

Visually they look very similar but it states the JP-1 produces a strong current whereas the MP-2 produces a moderate flow. If I adjust the flow on my filter will the JP-1 perform like the MP-2? Or is the $40 difference worth it?
Knicolas is offline  
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 173
bump, ready to place my order. need last minute opinion.
Knicolas is offline  
post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanLH View Post
+1 on this! I also received a response from GLA saying their fluxus set should be in no later than two weeks as of 3/4/13. I'm thinking of getting it for my ADA 45-f
Hmm.. wonder why I haven't gotten ANY kind of response from them, other than the automated kind.
sarahspins is offline  
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 30
Get the ADA, the violet glass jet tip is pinched to increase pressure which just makes water flow harder directly across the tank. The ADA product will distribute flow better which I'm sure is what you're looking for. I'd get a P2 though if it'll fit your tank and filter. The dispersion of flow is really nice and it'll aerate the surface well if near the top or slightly out of the water.
Rcfan08 is offline  
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 173
Knicolas is offline  
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
CPDzeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 960
I can maybe make custom acrylic pipes for you. Only in 9-10 mm sizes though.

ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline  
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 30
The mini p2 doesn't have the same tip as the reg p2 so its not gonna have the same effect on dispersal of flow.
Rcfan08 is offline  
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Couesfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,083
If any of you are interested I have a brand new set of Do Aqua pipes that I decided to not use. I have the violet glass mp-1 10 mm and the violet glass mv-1 13 mm. Decided to go another route.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=368

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=369
Couesfanatic is online now  
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
CPDzeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 960
How much?

ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome