Recomended filtration for a 90Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Recomended filtration for a 90Gallon

What do you guys recommend for filtration for a planted 90 gallon tank. It will be stocked with an army of tetras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Best filtration would be either a sump or a canister or two. I'm a fan of Eheim canisters but to each their own.

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Is it better to do multiple canisters or just one big one? I just messaged someone about an xp3 and a 405 for sale. Also messaged one about a fx5. How exactly would you use a sump as a filter in fresh water? Just pipe the water through a waterfall of sponges and different media? (never though of that option) Would you do one of the two over a hob?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Will the fx5 cause to much current for the CPD/s? I guess you could tone it down .. or make a diy spray bar to distribute it.. though not quite as pretty on an open top tank
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Algae Grower

I just bought a xp3 off of Craigslist for my 75 gallon I love it , it came with the spray bar, I have had almost every filter out there, for the money I love this filter.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Recomended filtration for a 90Gallon

Olay new decision. Single fx5 or two 404's?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
One FX5 is more than enough, and it should come with a spraybar. The flow is also adjustable, so if you don't like how the fish are affected by by the maximum outflow, you can simply adjust it to a lesser flow rate. I love mine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the tips. i found a used one locally for 200 (fx5) or 2 x404's for 140.. so a bit more for the fx5 but it should be more than enough.

Thanks for the tips

Last edited by shift; 03-06-2013 at 04:30 AM. Reason: edit mistake
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you're not comfortable/knowledgeable about sumps I would just do a canister. fx5 should be plenty of filtration. enjoy!

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

so FX5 it is.

Other question. does anyone know of a sponge that will fit over the FX5 intake to act as a pre-filter sponge? ( i will have shrimp and small fish in the tank). I was thinking of just ordering a sponge filter and making it work as the backup plan.

Other question.. is it worth making a spray bar? It sounded like the guy didnt have it or it didnt come with one.

Last edited by shift; 03-06-2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: more questions
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

fx5 is sooooooooo over rated. Just saying...FX6 is already out in europe, might want to look into that. fx5 is already old news :P

Lets say this 90g is only for plants
900+ GPH thats 10gph per every gallon of water. I know water circulation is big for plants, but in a standard 90g with a footprint of 48" x 18" thats a lot of output current, that gph is up there for a full fish tank turn over

Lets say its for plants, and fish. At such a high turn over rate it dosnt make a great biological filter opposed to something almost half in GPH. Which is why the FX6 was drastically cut down in gph.

Just something to consider. I know there will be "i never had issues", "my fish are healthy" feedback from others, but it is what it is :P science is science, weigh out its options.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...

Last edited by CrypticLifeStyle; 03-06-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: updating
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I wouldn't run a sponge intake on an fx5, it will likely cavitate like crazy. Maybe a large ss mesh intake would work. My fx5 used to cavitate like crazy when the intake was even slightly obstructed. If you're planning on running a big filter that has a shrimp safe intake, you're going to need something special. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Planted Member

I run an FX5 and the flow isn't quite as high as everyone makes it out to be i would say on the side of 600 gph maybe a little more or less with full media and filter pads, and a little less too than that once the filters start catching debris. Plus the hose is 1" so yes it does throw out a lot of water but the force at which it comes out is really mild, the output is split two ways with the current the factory nozzle and it puts out a wierd flow to me, so yes I did do a spray bar, because i wanted a washing effect down the back of the tank to roll the current down the back and across the bottome and up the front, piles all the trash up nice and close to the front of the glass for easy vacuuming, and with a royal pleco sucking wood all day and night their is alot of vacuuming.

29g Tetra Tank
100g Planted Angel/Clown Loach
I can't spell...Im an engineer, I do math
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Any chance you have pics of your spraybar/setup? I would be in for building one as long as i could make it stealthy and hidden.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode