GLA atomic paintball co2 "regulator" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

GLA atomic paintball co2 "regulator"

is this regulator similar to the popular paintball c02 "regulator" sold on this forum?
i thought regulators would have 2 gauges one for output and tank? http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-re...o2-kit-v1.html

is it safe to use? i'm trying to search for why paintball regulator that so many people made here are unsafe and have been coming up short as to what the specifics are aside from quality parts and/or construction. sorry i know it's been discussed but when i search for paintball co2 unsafe very few threads pop up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That one is an actual regulator. The "regulator" commonly sold on this forum is an on/off valve. The regulator gets the pressure from roughly 800-1000 psi to anywhere from 50-200 as opposed to the on/off valve where you have all that pressure going into your tank. I used the on/off valve for a while and it is pretty hard to get a stable rate of co2 and people have said it is dangerous. Not all regulators have 2 gauges some have a fixed output pressure where it will only put out a certain pressure.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew View Post
That one is an actual regulator. The "regulator" commonly sold on this forum is an on/off valve. The regulator gets the pressure from roughly 800-1000 psi to anywhere from 50-200 as opposed to the on/off valve where you have all that pressure going into your tank. I used the on/off valve for a while and it is pretty hard to get a stable rate of co2 and people have said it is dangerous. Not all regulators have 2 gauges some have a fixed output pressure where it will only put out a certain pressure.
nice, thanks for your response!

so the on/off valve is not a regulator and just moves all that pressure pretty much into the tank?

how would i know if this one is indeed a regulator? it seems like people use that term very loosely.

lastly, do you have any idea how it really might be dangerous to use the on/off valve? i guess over time it won't be able to handle all that pressure huh?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That one is definitely a regulator. "Fixed working pressure, designed specifically for use with Atomic CO2 diffusers." That is the regulating part. The on off valve just lets you open up the paintball co2 tank and let the co2 out.

People say the on/off valve is dangerous because most regulators have a needle wheel. It is very hard to adjust a needle valve with 800PSI behind it and your only trying to get a little bit out. My experience was that once it was closed it was a pain to get open and if I overturned it while trying to get it open it would put out waaay too much pressure and whatever it was connected to would pop off. Im a big guy too and I was having trouble moving it

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew View Post
That one is definitely a regulator. "Fixed working pressure, designed specifically for use with Atomic CO2 diffusers." That is the regulating part. The on off valve just lets you open up the paintball co2 tank and let the co2 out.

People say the on/off valve is dangerous because most regulators have a needle wheel. It is very hard to adjust a needle valve with 800PSI behind it and your only trying to get a little bit out. My experience was that once it was closed it was a pain to get open and if I overturned it while trying to get it open it would put out waaay too much pressure and whatever it was connected to would pop off. Im a big guy too and I was having trouble moving it
much appreciated. thanks for the info!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

"Fixed working pressure" is your key there. The regulator will stabilize the output pressure, while the on/off valves will have an erratic output depending mostly on the temperature of the PB tank. The on/off valves are dangerous in that they can output a huge volume of gas in a short amount of time if the valve isn't closed far enough. Imagine screwing the PB tank into a valve that is mistakenly left wide open. Now you've got 800+ psi of gas freeflowing into a thin glass bubble (your diffuser). If the glass fails before the tubing pops off, now you've got a bomb. Out of your tank, you've got glass shards flying through the air. In the tank, you've got expanding glass and gas right next to your walls. Do the math on that one. These are all worst-case scenarios of course, and you probably won't encounter catastrophic failure. The main drawback of the on/off valves is the wildly fluctuating bubble count...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
"Fixed working pressure" is your key there. The regulator will stabilize the output pressure, while the on/off valves will have an erratic output depending mostly on the temperature of the PB tank. The on/off valves are dangerous in that they can output a huge volume of gas in a short amount of time if the valve isn't closed far enough. Imagine screwing the PB tank into a valve that is mistakenly left wide open. Now you've got 800+ psi of gas freeflowing into a thin glass bubble (your diffuser). If the glass fails before the tubing pops off, now you've got a bomb. Out of your tank, you've got glass shards flying through the air. In the tank, you've got expanding glass and gas right next to your walls. Do the math on that one. These are all worst-case scenarios of course, and you probably won't encounter catastrophic failure. The main drawback of the on/off valves is the wildly fluctuating bubble count...
haha loved your descriptions!

yea i always read they were not really safe relative to a regulator. i just wanted to make sure i was buying a regulator. looks like i'm going this route!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode