Autodosing on the cheap - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
All still going well with the Lifeguard Autofeeder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Big Bob
Dosent get much cheaper than this.
http://www.home.zonnet.nl/rsetteur/d...seer_spuit.htm

Big Bob
Eheim Rude boy #200
750l Planted Discus System
150w 6000k MH X2,220wT5s,28kg florite,14Kg Tetra Plant media,ph controller,custom co2 reactor, plants all from Amano's supplyer .
>>FBW<<
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

^ Thats pretty darn cool.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuRje1976
All still going well with the Lifeguard Autofeeder?
Yes.

Bill
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots
Anyone try the Kent Marine Aquadose? It's a gravity feed drip system. I was going to try making something similar, but found this online for $19 and thought I'd order one to try. I figured it was cheap enough to give it a shot and hopefully low tech enough to be consistant and reliable.

http://www.kentmarine.com/maintenance/aquadose.html
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Algae Eater

That would be nice if you had a sump, only other option that I see is to hang it above your tank
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120
That would be nice if you had a sump, only other option that I see is to hang it above your tank
Cool, I do have a sump so I should be ok there. Another thing you could do is if you have a closet or some other room next to your tank, you could hang the bottle on the other side of the wall above the aquarium level but out of sight and just drill a small hole in the wall to run the tubing thru.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Planted Member

What about filling dry ferts into vitamin gel caps? You could potentially use a "compartment" type of feeder like Fish Mate automatic fish feeder.

http://www.capsulcn.com/280-309-2404...-Size-000.html
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post

Just when you thought you saw it all....
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrades View Post
What about filling dry ferts into vitamin gel caps? You could potentially use a "compartment" type of feeder like Fish Mate automatic fish feeder.

http://www.capsulcn.com/280-309-2404...-Size-000.html
NEAT idea! but will it dissolve in the tank? well, im sure it will but how fast?

Benedict
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 AM
Planted Member

How do you get the Lifeguard feeder to dispense correct amount?

If the feeder works by simply shaking powder in the hopper through holes, how do you know you are dispensing the same right amount every day?

Some very nice ideas here.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcyrwm View Post
I'm going to do start an experiment with auto dosing this week. I'm going to use the Fish Mate automatic fish feeder:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...?N=2004+112973

to dose my macros dry and an Eheim Liquidoser to dose my Excel and Tropica Master Grow trace fertilizer. It seems like the cheapest, simplest way for me to set up automated dosing. $55 for the liquidoser and $30 for the Fish Mate. Any feedback appreciated and I'll update with how it goes.

Bill
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...on-inside.html

I hesitated to post this b/c your already involved in your own method.... but I did it anyways. I think its widely agreed that peristaltic autodosing is kind of the cadillac method. Nice but expensive.

Peristaltic pumps are used in many many applications. The most common being industrial dish washers. You can make yourself a very nice set up that will last years for very little cash. My system cost less then what ur at right now. (and the ghetto plumbing is gone).

In any case... good luck with it man.

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 AM
Planted Member

how is that cheaper?

Zavikan, very nice but how is that cheaper (not to mention equal or less effort) to what the other poster proposed?

The pumps, tubes, timers, etc. really add up.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wasserpest posted a nice pros and cons list for each method of autodosing. peristaltic doesnt have a single downside except for the $$$. There are quite a few cons against the syringe method (though I think its ingenious)

The basic idea I am trying to put out is that it ISNT expensive. Ya just need to shop right. Buying a brand new specialty pump from a specialty store is going to cost an arm an a leg over a used industrial pump (which is designed for heavy use) off an appliance repair store. The pumps design means as long as you replace the tubing, there is 0% cross contamination.

** and it cost less b/c I didnt attempt to redesign the wheel and purchase liquidosers and feeding machines to try and make something new and untested.

there are no reasons to replace tried tested and true methods unless there is a downside to them. As the downside to my design is believed to be cost, I'm trying to show thats not inherently true.

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstein View Post
If the feeder works by simply shaking powder in the hopper through holes, how do you know you are dispensing the same right amount every day?

Some very nice ideas here.
That is not how it works. You pre-fill the compartments, and that amount is then emptied into your tank.

Only issues with that are incomplete dosing with some powder still stuck in the compartment, moisture that might cake your hygroscopic salts, and any of the powder getting into the mechanism and hosing that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
wasserpest posted a nice pros and cons list for each method of autodosing. peristaltic doesnt have a single downside except for the $$$. There are quite a few cons against the syringe method (though I think its ingenious)

The basic idea I am trying to put out is that it ISNT expensive. Ya just need to shop right. Buying a brand new specialty pump from a specialty store is going to cost an arm an a leg over a used industrial pump (which is designed for heavy use) off an appliance repair store. The pumps design means as long as you replace the tubing, there is 0% cross contamination.

** and it cost less b/c I didnt attempt to redesign the wheel and purchase liquidosers and feeding machines to try and make something new and untested.

there are no reasons to replace tried tested and true methods unless there is a downside to them. As the downside to my design is believed to be cost, I'm trying to show thats not inherently true.
The peristaltic pumps aren't that expensive, only if compared to the other cheapo methods. Some of the peristaltic pumps are not 100% reliable.

Another drawback is that the solutions can settle over time, but that can be fixed by shaking them up once in a while, or even adding a tiny pump or stirrer to the solution containers.

And that's a good idea about using peristaltic pumps used in large scale for other purposes. Need to check that out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode