Atomic co2 diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Green bay wi
Posts: 54
Atomic co2 diffuser

Has anyone had any experience with this diffuser. Does it create fine co2 bubbles. I want to know if it will be fine for a 75 gal aquarium. I am talking about the ones nilocg is selling link provided. Any help would be good thanks.


http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=195878
gnelahc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
AUvet14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnelahc View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this diffuser. Does it create fine co2 bubbles. I want to know if it will be fine for a 75 gal aquarium. I am talking about the ones nilocg is selling link provided. Any help would be good thanks.


http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=195878
Personally, I was not happy with their performance. What kind of regulator do you have? I only had an aquatek regulator at the time and it barely had enough working pressure to make it work. If you're looking at a good atomic diffuser for a 75 gallon, you might look at Green Leaf Aquairums. I tried the "large" size UP Aqua atomizer like the one in the link and it isn't very big. There's really not much surface area that bubbles can come out from. I use GLA atomic diffusers now and I couldn't be happier with them. That's just my experience.
AUvet14 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
msawdey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,011
i have one and it has worked fine... Every bad post i have seen about them often involves people removing them from the system and one of the plastic pieces busting. That is the only draw back i have found

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
msawdey is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Green bay wi
Posts: 54
I have a milwaukee ma957 regulator. I was thinking about the GLA diffuser but it is quite pricey.
gnelahc is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
xmas_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,335
You'll get much better results with a "Rex Grigg" style reactor on a tank that size. Also, stay away from these "atomic" diffusers unless you like your tank looking like someone just shook up a 7up.
xmas_one is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
msawdey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
You'll get much better results with a "Rex Grigg" style reactor on a tank that size. Also, stay away from these "atomic" diffusers unless you like your tank looking like someone just shook up a 7up.
HA! nailed it

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
msawdey is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Dx3Bash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 468
I use a GLA Atomic Diffuser on my 55 gallon. It works great in terms of creating very fine bubbles as it is designed to do, however as a previous poster mentions, you will have a bunch of bubbles throughout your aquarium. If that type of thing bothers you, then you should consider a reactor. Not sure about the one you are looking at, but for the GLA Atomic Diffuser you will also need a good Co2 regulator. It has a high initial cracking pressure so you will need to crank up the PSI to 45, then you can adjust it down. I keep mine at 35 PSI. I might replace it with a reactor this Summer, but for now it does its job and I am completely satisfied with the purchase.

Would I recommend or purchase again? Definitely and without hesitation.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers.html

The one you are looking at is priced much lower than the GLA. For that price I don't see how you can go wrong.
Dx3Bash is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
msawdey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
I use a GLA Atomic Diffuser on my 55 gallon. It works great in terms of creating very fine bubbles as it is designed to do, however as a previous poster mentions, you will have a bunch of bubbles throughout your aquarium. If that type of thing bothers you, then you should consider a reactor. Not sure about the one you are looking at, but for the GLA Atomic Diffuser you will also need a good Co2 regulator. It has a high initial cracking pressure so you will need to crank up the PSI to 45, then you can adjust it down. I keep mine at 35 PSI. I might replace it with a reactor this Summer, but for now it does its job and I am completely satisfied with the purchase.

Would I recommend or purchase again? Definitely and without hesitation.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers.html

The one you are looking at is priced much lower than the GLA. For that price I don't see how you can go wrong.
good post

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
msawdey is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
beedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: earth
Posts: 732
i just put my diffuser under my intake and let it suck in 90% of the bubbles.
beedee is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Green bay wi
Posts: 54
Thanks for the advice guys. I too find the fine bubbles pretty distracting. Maybe I will try making my own Rex Griggs reactor.
gnelahc is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
NJAquaBarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,489
Atomic co2 diffuser

I just replaced an in tank reactor with an atomic diffuser in my 84g main tank.

It works great. I have the smallest one that I bought for a nano tank. Put it in just to see and low and behold my indicator went to light green in hours. My tank is heavily planted with lots of surface agitation. Some plants started pearling day one. I was shocked.

I was ver surprised to see the small diffuser work on a large tank, but the result is undeniable.

There are some fine bubbles, but I have to get close to the tank to see them. I don't find it a distraction at all.

So, great result from a tiny diffuser in a big, densely planted tank. A very nice surprise.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360274139.544685.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	82482

Osaka 320L ver 2
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Sugardaddy1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 684
Those rainbows are beautiful!

Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
Sugardaddy1979 is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
NJAquaBarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,489
Atomic co2 diffuser

Thanks Sugar. They are a nice strain, the yellow is a very deep, reddish form. They eat like piraņa. Totally peaceful with other fish, but hit food like bass. Splash like dolphins in a show :-)

Osaka 320L ver 2
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome