When is new filter seeded - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
When is new filter seeded

I had a AC 50 running on my 29G red cherry tank. Well I came home and it was running dry I went back out and picked up a AC 70. Both have been running on the 29G for about 3 or 4 weeks now. I don't wanna pull out the 50 too soon. As far as what's running in the AC's. The AC50 has 2 sponges and the ceramic rings. The AC70 has 2 sponges and seachem matrix(been in there for approx. 3 days) in it. Both have a prefilter on the intake.

So guys, when do I know that the AC70 is seeded?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Fear the Swamp!
3-4 weeks sounds pretty good. You could always move the ceramic rings from the old 50 to the new 70 when you remove the 50.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
3-4 weeks sounds pretty good. You could always move the ceramic rings from the old 50 to the new 70 when you remove the 50.
Yup - normally about a month of running in an established tank. You could also cut the bags and put half established ceramic rings and half unestablished seachem in both filters to speed the seeding process.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru
You could remove the media from the 50 a little at a time, perhaps 25% of it each week for a month.

However many fish you have, all the bacteria in the tank and both filters is taking care of the waste.
There is still bacteria living and doing its job in the filter you want to remove.
When you remove that bacteria the remaining bacteria in tank and the new filter must take over. The slower you remove the bacteria (the cycled but old filter) the less chance of an ammonia spike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode