painting a titanium heater? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

painting a titanium heater?

I recently bought one of those via aqua titanium heaters for a tank I'm hoping to get set up this weekend.

I was initially planning on sectioning off a corner of the tank, and keeping the heater and filter intake in that corner, out of sight of the main tank, but that didn't quite work out.

So instead, I'm going to just be sticking the heater in the tank, hopefully keeping it somewhat obscured behind some hardscape (while making sure there is decent circulation around it). However, the bright metallic color will pretty much stand out no matter what I do with it.

Has anyone ever done anything like painting the heater, or doing something to make it a bit more subtle looking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Re: painting a titanium heater?

Not sure if that would work or not... But if you were you need a high temp paint check www.kbs-coatings.com look at the high temp manifold paint.

My only worry would be things potentially seeping when it's all heated up

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the response.

I would probably want to use something with a history of safe aquarium use, like maybe the fusion spray paint or something similar.

I don't think I'd need something high-heat, as the water should conduct/convect most of the heat away before it would get anywhere near boiling, but I didn't consider that the higher temp might promote something leaching out of the paint/coating.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Re: painting a titanium heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Thanks for the response.

I would probably want to use something with a history of safe aquarium use, like maybe the fusion spray paint or something similar.

I don't think I'd need something high-heat, as the water should conduct/convect most of the heat away before it would get anywhere near boiling, but I didn't consider that the higher temp might promote something leaching out of the paint/coating.
Yea i mean the water is conducting away heat but that thing will still get hot. Only other thing i could recommend would be hide it behind some plants or driftwood :-/

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Have you looked into the heater covers at all?

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...Guard-Kit.aspx

I'm not sure if yours will fit or not, though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Yea i mean the water is conducting away heat but that thing will still get hot. Only other thing i could recommend would be hide it behind some plants or driftwood :-/

I think that's what I'm going to have to resort to, I was just hoping to be able to camouflage the heater as well. :/ I'm thinking before I do anything, I'll try throwing the heater in a bucket/tub, and sticking my hand in and seeing how warm the water feels near it, or maybe even if the heater feels hot to the touch after a couple minutes of constant on.

I'm pretty certain most silicones are good up to temperatures in the couple-few hundred degrees Fahrenheit (well above boiling, which should not be happening...), and several epoxies have pretty high temp ratings as well. I'm just concerned that coating the heater with those would insulate it, and severely limit the heaters ability to transfer heat to the water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
Have you looked into the heater covers at all?

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...Guard-Kit.aspx

I'm not sure if yours will fit or not, though.
Thanks, that didn't even occur to me, but now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing them in a store recently. I'll take a look (I plan on hitting a few pet/fish stores in the next few days) and see what I can figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Thanks. I'm not sure I would really have to do much other then clean it, as the heater has a slightly rough surface (similar to beadblasted finish). The idea of anodizing briefly passed through my head, but I don't have the equipment to do that (and I don't think I'm quite up to scavenging parts from abandoned microwaves and rigging something up in my apartment...(yet)), and I don't think I've ever seen titanium anodize as anything other then some pretty color (compared to aluminum, which is frequently anodized to black, grey, etc.)). even so, that stuff is a bit out of my league...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode