The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which should I get? Only found the following CO2 Regulators

6K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  fattboa 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello;

I am a novice at the CO2 system and I am trying to build a CO2 regulator the only store that I found that sold pressure regulators has 2 modes of Victor 2 stage regulators. There is a C and D mode which to my knowledge D mode is for Heavy duty and the one I should be getting for accuracy is a A or B mode as to get a more accurate PSI reading. Here are the possible available products:

Should I get one of these or should I buy a single stage regulator from GLA. GLa is planning to make UK compatible regulators but make take time I've already waited 3 weeks.

After recommending what do you recommend for a novice to get an expensive Pressure regulator like Victor, which itself costs $270, or should I get commercial brand regulator.
If so which do you recommend? I am looking for a pressure regulator with a solenoid valve, sold in Europe that delivers to UK.

See less See more
#2 ·
I assume you have already taken a look at my guide to pressurized CO2.

Personally, the C would be fine. It has a working pressure from 4-80 PSI, and I think the low pressure gauge would most likely read from 0 to 150 (perhaps 200) PSI, meaning the gradations are still fine enough to allow for good control.

Dual stage regulators are nice, and offer some advantages over a single stage regulator. What you decide to get is up to you.

You may have more luck purchasing used Victor (or other industrial brand) regulators on eBay, and then removing the CGA320 nut and nipple and replacing with the European Standard. This will definitely cost less than the $270 it costs for a brand new regulator.

I am not sure what you mean by "other commercial brand" as Victor is just a particular brand (there are many others).

As for the solenoid valve, you can purchase these separately as well. Just make sure that the fittings that it uses matches the European Standard (BSPP, most likely).

#3 ·
I assume you have already taken a look at my guide to pressurized CO2.
Yeah I did weeks ago. Completely forgot I read it and that I had a thread about building a CO2 Regulator.

I am not sure what you mean by "other commercial brand" as Victor is just a particular brand (there are many others).
I meant the cheaply priced regulators where you can get a dual guage regulator with solenoid value for $100-$170.

As for the solenoid valve, you can purchase these separately as well. Just make sure that the fittings that it uses matches the European Standard (BSPP, most likely).
They use BS standard connections here. Can't find a solenoid valve here of metering needle here will probably order online. Any recommendations? Solenoid dependable one. Metering needle to improve the accuracy of the C mode. ;)

#5 ·
You can find a needle valve that uses the British connection, I think they have way better looking connections anyways. The common water cooling kits for PC have those BSP connections. There is an adapter but I'm sure they have needle valves in the connection you need.

You just have to google whatever connection your country uses. I mean, how can they not?

Oh and don't buy those Asian clones, unless your in asia and live close to their company for refunds and exchanges.

#6 ·
I have checked with three large hardware stores and two refrigeration and gas distribution companies none sell them. They might be sold here but I can't seem to find them and nor do the employees of those stores and company know of where I can get them.

I am planning of getting a Swagelok Series M with a Vernier handle.

But here is a question, what should I know about my pressure regulator and cylinder before choosing the metering valve. For example in one of the metering valves it says "Swagelok® Tube Fitting" and in another metering valve it says "Male NPT". :icon_conf

#14 ·
I forget the part number, but gla is using a PeterPual solenoid now. If you google peterpual and check their website, you can find it there (i think they might call it "the little black box" or something like that...). I know that you can get burkerts over there. They are a little bit more though.

#21 ·
I know I may be a bit late. I did not check personally but I believe you should find Parker metering valves at PETROTECH ESTABLISHMENT ( http://www.petrotech.ae/store.html# )
I researched this a few months ago and only found this on the internet. I did find one store that had a vast amount of metering/needle valves in Shuwaikh at near Bin Nikhy garage (the "German car brand" street) however I did not check carefully since none had a box. I just had my Co2 tank checked today a ROC. However my acetylene regulator does not work with Co2 as I have found out. I assume the Victor brand regulator was at Roc. I do not think you will find another regulator but you may get lucky at the Friday market. I think an inert gas regulator should work with Co2 but the dude at ROC said you should get a Co2 regulator only. You could try building your own regulator but anything other than restaurants is extremely difficult to locate.

If you want an alternative carbon source, I have found and purchased Sklarcide (3% glutaraladehyde) which is the same stuff as Flourish Excel (would be more than happy to share with you) . I also have found sources for a lot of things after A LOT of time (fertilizers). If you need any help just send me a pm, I'll be more than glad to help. (unlike the other Kuwaiti which changed his location in his profile after I sent a pm)

#23 ·
I know I may be a bit late. I did not check personally but I believe you should find Parker metering valves at PETROTECH ESTABLISHMENT ( http://www.petrotech.ae/store.html# )
I researched this a few months ago and only found this on the internet. I did find one store that had a vast amount of metering/needle valves in Shuwaikh at near Bin Nikhy garage (the "German car brand" street) however I did not check carefully since none had a box. I just had my Co2 tank checked today a ROC. However my acetylene regulator does not work with Co2 as I have found out. I assume the Victor brand regulator was at Roc. I do not think you will find another regulator but you may get lucky at the Friday market. I think an inert gas regulator should work with Co2 but the dude at ROC said you should get a Co2 regulator only. You could try building your own regulator but anything other than restaurants is extremely difficult to locate.

If you want an alternative carbon source, I have found and purchased Sklarcide (3% glutaraladehyde) which is the same stuff as Flourish Excel (would be more than happy to share with you) . I also have found sources for a lot of things after A LOT of time (fertilizers). If you need any help just send me a pm, I'll be more than glad to help. (unlike the other Kuwaiti which changed his location in his profile after I sent a pm)

You are correct the Victor brand Regulators are the ones sold at ROC. I purchased 2 Miluawkee Regulator (should be delivered by the end of this week) for now until I find metering needles and solenoid valves sold here in Kuwait.

#24 ·
If I could butt in for some quick help, could someone with good knowledge on the subject could search CONCOA GAS REGULATOR -- 400 SERIES- - 200 PSI- - 4000 PSI on a popular e-bidding website and tell me if that's dual stage or not it would be highly appreciated. It looks it, but some of the 400 series is and isn't, so I can't be sure.

#25 ·
No, that's a single stage. A dual stage will always have some sort of "bump" behind the gauges. Look at the pics for the other 3 listings if you type in what you have in caps, specifically the pics of the back end of the regs.

Here's a current Concoa series listing with .pdf's:
http://www.concoa.com/specgas_catalog.html

Not sure exactly what the first one (the one you specifically were referring to) is, but the other 3, which are pics of the same reg, are 412's (duals).

#36 ·
Since this is a related topic I'll ask here. Found an oxygen regulator (Harris 25-100c) but that won't work I believe. I dont see any CGA540 (oxygen?) to CGA320 adapter and I dont think they make any.
Found also a Harris 25-500c. Apparently it is called a nitrogen purging regulator? 0-500 delivery pressure but I'm afraid that is all I found. What's a purging regulator anyway? Cannot find much info
Also found another regulator by Western enteprises, however it is a 0-6000psi inlet and 0-200 delivery pressure. No other information but from the website it's an inert gas regulator but not under liquid cylinder regulator??
There's a difference between liquid cylinder regulator and gas regulator? Isn't an inert gas liquified under pressure?
This is all very confusing, why can't we find co2 regulators like normal people?

#37 ·
Found an angled metering valve marked Nupro, made by Swagelok. Apparently it's 1/8" and has Swagelok fittings? It is used so I have no idea if it is working or not. I've been searching about how to connect it and I understand it will be a challenge/headache but oh well. I believe it is a Swagelok SS angled metering valve, perhaps SS-SS2-A but an older version?

Sorry for the double post but it is for future reference if anyone in Kuwait will try to pursue a pressurized Co2. The shop's name is Al-Rayes and I believe only has two left. The shop is found in Shuwaikh industrial area on Bin-Nikhy crossroad (near Al-zeena street). Price is around 12 kwd. Good luck

#40 ·
it works well.
and if you can find ham-let metering valves in the region, they are good metering valves also, ham-let is made in Israel.
the more choice or the ham-let valve metering valve models, you can check the selection thread link in my signature.

#38 ·
Yes, that's an old SS-SS2-A.

SS-2-TA-1-2 is what you'd use to go from the tube fittings to 1/8" NPT. Any manufacturer that makes double ferrule compression fittings will have an adapter like that.

Also, that Harris 25-100 should work fine. You just need to remove the old nipple and nut and replace it with whatever cylinder fitting you use there.

edit - you'll likely need new ferrules. SS-200-SET

#39 ·
I am extremely grateful for your answer. There is no official Swagelok dealer so I'll have to dig around for the ferrules/adapter.
I contemplated the Harris (it was 20$ after all) but nobody repairs/rebuilds them in Kuwait and I found it used at a less than reputable place so I'll buy a Uniweld Co2 regulator instead.
Thank you once again.

#41 ·
I didn't even think of Ham-Let. But now that I am, I'm wondering if it's particularly difficult or costly to get anything to Kuwait from Israel.

The Ham-Let site is kinda nice in that you can type in a Swagelok part # and get a Ham-Let match. Unfortunately there are no prices posted, so you have to request a quote.

#44 · (Edited)
EDIT: Nevermind. Different connections so will have to redo/research everything.
Edit 2: Can I attach the metering valve directly to regulator? Metering valve is 1/8" swagelok tube fittings and regulator is 5/8" female. Solenoids cost as much as the regulator so will avoid.
Just so you know the headache Im dealing with: co2 tank is cga320, regulator input is British standard, regulator output is 5/8" female and metering valve is 1/8" swagelok tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.