Fish tank addiction?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Fish tank addiction?!

Its been two months and i already have a 12G fluval edge and 5.5G fluval chi on the go... and today i caught my self eyeing the fluval spec V.. i swear this is an addiction.. I'm almost wondering if i should just buy one big tank and be done with it.... haha

Does this seem to be a common problem around here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 AM
Planted Member

i started with a fluval chi, i ended up with 5 tanks in a 5 month span. chi, flora, spec v, mr aqua cube, and a 12 gallon long. i recently got a hold of my self and shut all but 2 down.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've been thinking the same thing.

55G
20G L
15G x2
35G L
6G Fluval Edge
12G L
2.5 Gallon
and a 3 Gallon at work
Not including about 15 Betta jars and containers.

when my 12 gallon arrived yesterday. The look my wife gave me made me feel so ashamed of myself. It's like an addiction to some kind of drug. I'm cruising the pet stores on a weekly basis to see what kind of shrimp or accessory I can score.

You know it's bad when you have to think about real hard what I need to buy next. or DIY next.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

vnghost - Which 2 tanks did you end up with?

binbin9 - you just made me feel better about wanting a 3rd :P

I have been on the fence on the spec V or a 12-20 long ..but having 2 already.. (well the 5g is a planted breeder).. hahah.. damn this addiction!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm starting to hate my fluval edge. What a pain to maintain. I'm done with the nanos for the moment. The spec cost more than a Mr Aqua 12 Gallon long I think. I wish I hadnt purchased my fluval edge and bought the 12G L a long time ago. The possibilities are endless with that tank. Marine depot just got in some inventory they are usually on back order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
vnghost - Which 2 tanks did you end up with?

binbin9 - you just made me feel better about wanting a 3rd :P

I have been on the fence on the spec V or a 12-20 long ..but having 2 already.. (well the 5g is a planted breeder).. hahah.. damn this addiction!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Planted Member

Since I realised I can easily have automated water changes, which I'm currently setting up for the 95g I'm converting from reef to freshwater, I've been thinking how I could have more aquariums and that would require almost no maintenance. On the list are a paludarium and a cichild tank.

And I'm still in love with reefs, it's just the water changes that are such a pain. So I'm thinking something like a 5g with a 50g sump should be possible without the need of a skimmer, would require very little water change, and should be very stable with automated dosing of Alk and calcium. This requires more thought but it's definitely on my mind.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

I love keeping aquariums, but having multiple tanks is a drain on me. Two of them at any given time is my limit. It does not matter if those are two 120's or two 5 gallon tanks or any combination in between.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
I love keeping aquariums, but having multiple tanks is a drain on me. Two of them at any given time is my limit. It does not matter if those are two 120's or two 5 gallon tanks or any combination in between.
I have five set up and I'm kind of starting to feel like this too. All these water changes is just like blahhhh.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have five as well, just recently had six but I took one down that had been overcome with algae and wasn't responding to anything I tried. I now have a 125g, 75g, 37g, 22g and a 7g. For me the problem is I have fish that keep reproducing. Maybe it's time to exchange some fish for store credit at the LFS.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496
25g 60-P iwagumi , 33g iwagumi cube, 125g high tech, 7g cube, 12g long
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Algae Grower

Started with a 2.5 Bowfront to house some guppies my wife didn't want to see buried at sea at school over Christmas Vaca.

We currently have 3 (2.5 Bow, 4.4 rimless, 26g Bow) up and running, three more (20L de-rimmed, 15g rimless, 20 H) cycling (2 will come out this week.... love me some Nitrite fall!) a 40 breeder in the garage waiting for a suitable stand (if only somebody made one), and a 10 that is about to become my hospital / QT tank.

Eheim 2017, a 2013, two 2015's, a Craigslist 204 (dead silent), a new 405 (back in the box... noisy as hell), Finnex mini HOB, a 501.... all great.

405 is back in the box. Noisy as hell. I inadvertently became an Eheim guy.

Ottos, Corys, SAE's and a wacky stow-away nerite are the cleaning crew. Fishes include Endlers and Razzies and some goldfish. Shrimp without number....

Yeah... its been a busy 4 weeks.

We got it bad.

I blame TPT.

- Ken
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

one big one will not do it. you will still want more. Thankfully i got a roommate who isn't as keen on tanks as i am, and has told me i can't keep anymore tanks the common area....and i have no room on my bed room.....so i'm stuck at 6...but i found a way around it, i am just moving all my smaller tanks into larger tanks hehehe

Will

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

Space Coast Aquatic Plant Society on Facebook.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm at three tanks right now: 5G, 2.5G, and 110G. Had 5 at one point, but it was too much.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I was thinking of getting an ADA Mini L and thought that would be too much. I'm already at 2 small tanks, the Fluval Edge 12 and 6 gallon.

You know what I think is happening?

A room full of fish tanks is becoming the new "crazy cat lady" addiction. So in a few years, people will look at you and say.... Yeah that the guy with 5 fish tanks, he crazy!

ADA 60P
|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|Fluval Edge[6g] |DIY Diffuser YT
E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
I was thinking of getting an ADA Mini L and thought that would be too much. I'm already at 2 small tanks, the Fluval Edge 12 and 6 gallon.

You know what I think is happening?

A room full of fish tanks is becoming the new "crazy cat lady" addiction. So in a few years, people will look at you and say.... Yeah that the guy with 5 fish tanks, he crazy!
i have 5 atm and i really can't setup another one..have to beat myself from doing it or i get yell at!

Eheim Pimp Club #506

Tags
addiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode