What is a good filter for a 10g betta tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
What is a good filter for a 10g betta tank?

When my little ones move into their new 20l I want to get a betta for my 10G..the AQ70 on there now is going to the 20l and the other other filter I have is a Penguin 100b. I am not a huge fan of the biowheel filters, especially the noise so I would rather not use it, and I definitely could not deal with the noise of a sponge filter. So what filter would be good for just one betta in a planted tank?
I'm also considering dividing the tank with some type of black divider so I can keep two bettas..I have heard of people using some type of filter made by Azoo for that..Does anyone know what filter I'm talking about and what the full name is? I've also read about Red Sea small filters, but don't know anything about them.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Planted Member
If you don't like noise just don't use any filters at all.
Bettas really don't need any filters.
I would recommend a sponge filter even if it's a mini sponge filter just to keep the top of the water clean and clear.

"Semper Fi"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
You could also use a small canister filter. Something like a ZooMed 501. With one or two betta's the bioload isn't huge and if the tank is well planted it should be fine.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
I had my betta in a 10 gallon for a while and used a small sponge filter made for a 3 gallon tank as well as lots of plants. He did very well in there by himself.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
I don't know if I'll feel safe without a filter lol. I don't mind white noise like the Aquaclear filters make..it's just buzzing/vibrations/trickling that is hard for me to handle. Has anyone tried internal filters like the TOM Mini Internal Filter? It's only 45gph but with all the plants I think that should be good.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
the Zoo Med 501 looks good, I've never used a canister filter but I might try it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
I've never used the Tom mini but the equivalent fluval (fluval nano) works very well.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Planted Member
I am using the Zoo Med 501 and I'm quite happy with it. Good flow for a smallish tank.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Algae Grower
An ac20 would do as well.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Best $9 I ever spent on this hobby! Ok, I lie...but it's a great filter for the dough. Trust me on this one. Mine's been repurposed about 18 times, and I still find uses for it that I hadn't thought about.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Carpe Diem
Finnex PX-360 - I have 4 of them running and I like them a lot. Finnex also sponsors this forum and I always got great support from them. Good people and a good filter.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Planted Member
If you're really not wanting a strong "filter" you could use one of these: Finnex External Refugium. You could fill it full of filter media or deep sand, and it would work just as well as a HOB filter, with the added benefit of shrimp keeping, breeding, etc. Sort of a cheat, and only runs about 4GPH, which is plenty low enough for the betta. There's an air pump included, but it can also be water-driven.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru
The 501 isn't normally enough for a ten but if you planning on keeping the one Betta it'll be perfect as they don't like a lot of flow, I know I have one on a 5.5. Little bit of a pain to clean but I run mine til it trickles which takes months for me. After a good cleaning its like new again, dependable and pretty cheap IMO.

Just noticed you might keep two betas with a divider then the 501 wouldn't suffice, I would look into the Eheim 2211 or 2213
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
I have the Tetra Whisper for my Betta boy and it is very gentle on him as well as very cheap its also silent but it is an in tank filter in case you are against that

40 gallon - Misc fish
15 gallon - Axolotl
5 gallon - Betta and ADF
20 long - Hatchling turtles and corydoras.

Soon to change I am sure
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Wannabe Guru
The Zoo Med 501 is pretty slick. I just got one and did tons of testing, and it's nowhere near it's rating, but that's perfect for the 3 gallon tank I'm using it on. With the provided media and sponge in it and an additional filter sponge on top of the media, plus 40" of 3/8" hose on the input and output, mine moves 36 GPH. That's low for a 10 gallon, but for your purposes it'd work fine. It's also pretty darn quiet (but it's still brand new).

Tonight I tested locating it below the tank and it pumps exactly the same 36 GPH flow when I lowered it 30" below the tank as it did sitting right next to it, so you can hide it nicely if you want and there is no flow penalty for putting the pump lower than the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode