The Planted Tank Forum banner

If you had $200.00 that could only be used for equipment what would you buy?

5K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  karatekid14 
#1 ·
I thought this might be a fun little thread. It may have been done before so I apologize in advance if it has but a quick search didn't turn up anything similar.

I wanted to get an idea of what pieces of equipment people are lusting after for their planted tanks. If you had $200 USD right now that you had to spend on equipment for your planted tank what would you buy? No livestock or plants allowed, its got to be equipment. It could be one item or ten it doesn't matter as long as you stay under the $200 USD mark.

$200 is kind of an arbitrary number but it seemed like an amount that could buy a decent piece of equipment that was also a reachable target for most people without being too outrageous. Feel free to convert to Pounds or Euros or Yen or whatever your currency of choice might be but try to get it close to the $200 USD mark if you can. Pictures or links are encouraged and if you can tell us a little bit about why you would want it for your particular tank that would be wonderful as well. Thanks for participating and I am looking forward to seeings everyone's most coveted items.

#6 ·
Thanks for participating. For the sake of this thread you don't necessarily need to outfit an entire tank for $200, that could be tough especially for larger tanks. If you want to do an entire tank that is perfectly acceptable as well but ideally I was hoping to see specific pieces of equipment that people would buy if they had $200 to spend.

#16 ·
I'd get a good UV sterilizer.
You'd be amazed at the good it can produce in any planted tank - and how it can improve so many things, e.g. - water clarity and quality, water circulation within the tank, providing access of fertilizers to the plants, reduction of algae problems, water purification, elimination or lessening of potential viral or parasitic substances in the tank, elimination of green water, clearance of oily films on the water surface - the list goes on.
I wouldn't be without one.
I've been fish-keeping for over 50 years, and have been keeping/raising discus for many of those years, and my best aquatic 'pal' in the tank is a UV sterilizer !
I run one 24/7.

#21 ·
I'm curious - do uv sterilizers only work with canister filters, or can some be used in tanks without canisters?

#25 ·
Bettatail, how do you know I don't have a $300.00 solid gold ramshorn snail? :hihi:

gimmethatfish; thanks!

#28 · (Edited)
I will raid your tank for the snail, let me know your address:icon_lol:

add:

a UV light is not expensive, but it is the (important?) equipment that you really need it or not.

a wild discus can easily goes up to $300 a piece, just imagine a tank full of wild discus, a lot of green swimming. For a tank like this, UV is necessary, to sterilize the water and prevent disease.
I need a UV because will get ready to get Altum angelfish in the fall, and a UV is about $50, not that much, that is the price of single altum angelfish without acclimating, after acclimating, the altum will be expensive because it is very common that all altum die off during one month acclimating period.

#41 ·
CO2... DIY is a pain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.