The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anybody with a Hydor inline heater?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  eds 
#1 ·
How long/tall are they? I'm trying to get ideas on plumbing for this (possible) new tank. It looks like cabinet space might be tight.

#3 ·
I have a faint recollection that the heater has to be mounted in a vertical position. I can't remember the source or its validity however. I can't imagine why you would want to mount in horizontally but I just thought I'd let you know that this may be the case.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Mine is being shipped right now.
How do you hang/mount it?
Is there a bracket on the back, or do you jury rig something yourself with duct tape and a bit of twine?

#8 ·
eds said:
Mine is being shipped right now.
How do you hang/mount it?
Is there a bracket on the back, or do you jury rig something yourself with duct tape and a bit of twine?
I use bubble gum...ok, all kidding aside, there is a little "loop" of plastic to hang it from something, I use a rather large zip tie, which I Un-hung to take that picture.

It isn't that heavy so I wouldn't worry to much, and it can hang right off the output side of your plumbing without pulling too much.

I also have the hoses clamped down with "Touch down" http://www.siouxchief.com/B_Product_Detail.cfm?GroupID=051850
clamps, but that is just for neatness.

#9 ·
Part of the molded body forms a "loop" that you can somehow use to tie it or secure it or support it's weight or whatever you can come up with. However, I have mind spliced into my return line in a vertical position and am just using the pressure of the hose connections to support it's weight and it's doing fine.

#10 ·
Thanks guys.
Chalk another one up for the internet and digicams!

With my previous 2 smaller tanks, I went more low tech, so I was more comfortable just winging it as I went along.

Going a little more seriously at this new one - both in terms of the equipment and my goals. I'm realizing how much planning and organization can help. It would be easy to end up with a twisted mess of tubing and wiring, or a system that's seriously out of whack. I'd rather avoid that from the start, than straighten it out later.

(Man - the way this guy hawks those "Touch Down" clamps, you'd think he was getting a kickback!) ;)

#11 ·
eds said:
(Man - the way this guy hawks those "Touch Down" clamps, you'd think he was getting a kickback!) ;)
I wish...but on a $2-3 item - we don't have half-cent pieces!

When something so little works as advertised, makes me happy.
Sure I could just cut and re-cut zip ties...but it gets boring quickly.

The little things in life...

*Note to self - tell lfs' to stock touch down clamps...running for cover...

#12 ·
Man, I'm to stupid to be thinking about setting up anything more than a goldfish bowl!
Got my Hydor today. Hook up looks too darn easy.
So when I went to hook it up to my xp3. Didn't think that when I disconnected the tubes the siphon was still working. Good thing i had thought to have my bucket handy!
Then, when I was reconnecting my xp3 (1st time with a filstar) I didn't realize the quick disconnect lever wasn't quite all the way back, so I couldn't seat the unit and depress the lever. Very frustrating for the 10 minutes it took this genius to figure that one out!
Ordered the light - 4x65 aqualight.
I think I'll wait a couple of weeks before going pressurized CO2.
Figure I'll just go with 2x65 and hook up a couple of bottles of DIY till then. On a good day, I might be able to outsmart yeast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.