Has anyone used this as a heater? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Has anyone used this as a heater?

I've seen them used in DIY suise vide machines in conjunction with a pid controller and thought they'd make a good heater. I'm not actually going to use it but do you think this would work and if so how?

http://www.amazon.com/NORPRO-559-Imm...mersion+heater

Last edited by GOJIRADOR; 12-10-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOJIRADOR View Post
I've seen them used in DIY suise vide machines in conjunction with a pid controller and thought they'd make a good heater.

http://www.amazon.com/NORPRO-559-Imm...mersion+heater
Hi GOJIRADOR,

It doesn't look like it is made to be submerged nor does it have a thermostat. In addition according to the reviews it has a terrible life expectancy. A quality heater that protects my investment is cheap compared to the cost of replacing my fish and plants.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi GOJIRADOR,

It doesn't look like it is made to be submerged nor does it have a thermostat. In addition according to the reviews it has a terrible life expectancy. A quality heater that protects my investment is cheap compared to the cost of replacing my fish and plants.

I agree. This product does not look safe for fish.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is made to be submerged. Its for heating up cold cups of coffee. I bought one 2 years ago and it worked fine, in fact they have an auto shut off feature when ever it gets too hot, I don't have it now though because I took it apart. Its not supposed to have a thermostat that's what the pid controller is for I think the entire point of setting up a heater controller is to get the cheapest heaters and the best sensor/controller
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It is made to be submerged. Its for heating up cold cups of coffee. I bought one 2 years ago and it worked fine, in fact they have an auto shut off feature when ever it gets too hot, I don't have it now though because I took it apart. Its not supposed to have a thermostat that's what the pid controller is for I think the entire point of setting up a heater controller is to get the cheapest heaters and the best sensor/controller
By submerged they mean the entire thing including parts of the cord that can be submerged. That one clearly has the white hook to hook onto the edge of the cup instead of dumping the entire thing in.

Getting a quality heater that's actually made for Aquariums is my suggestion.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
By submerged they mean the entire thing including parts of the cord that can be submerged. That one clearly has the white hook to hook onto the edge of the cup instead of dumping the entire thing in.

Getting a quality heater that's actually made for Aquariums is my suggestion.
I agree with what jkan has stated above. You'll be happy.

55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh I see well that's not what I would do with it any way. I understand your concerns but keep in mind this isn't for a tank its merely a brainstorm thread. IMO It would probably work best in a sump, my only concern being that the heat is too intense, however I think that the pid controller using its off/on function wouldn't allow it to get exceedingly hot. That would of coarse depend on the water flow across the heater.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
oh I see well that's not what I would do with it any way. I understand your concerns but keep in mind this isn't for a tank its merely a brainstorm thread. IMO It would probably work best in a sump, my only concern being that the heat is too intense, however I think that the pid controller using its off/on function wouldn't allow it to get exceedingly hot. That would of coarse depend on the water flow across the heater.

Oh ok now I understand but I still say a regular aquarium heater. I understand though that its a idea/DIY project. Just to help you out next time I would state in the OP that your thinking of using this in a sump or something.

10g RCS and show guppies

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Oh ok now I understand but I still say a regular aquarium heater. I understand though that its a idea/DIY project. Just to help you out next time I would state in the OP that your thinking of using this in a sump or something.
My bad your right I should have stated that clearly, I edited the first post.

Last edited by GOJIRADOR; 12-10-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: edit
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Planted Member

There are better alternatives.

I'm not sure if the real oldschool heaters are still sold in the US:

I started using them in my 10 G tanks, for I didn't want to waste precious space with bulky and unsighty thermostat-heaters.
I have loved them ever since. They cost me like 2-3 bucks, and come in 5 watt increments, from 5 to 75 I think. I haven't needed more than 40w.
It takes a little initial monitoring to see how it handles the job, and determine if I need to go up or down one size. In the summer I run them on the light timer, and get like a 1-1.5ºC warmer noon during the day. Have never had any problems. They also can be run safely inside the smaller AquaClears with a very minor sponge mod.

I don't know why don't more low-tech nano enthusiasts use them.

They'd work well with the pid controller you mentioned.

Cheers.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
There are better alternatives.

I'm not sure if the real oldschool heaters are still sold in the US:

I started using them in my 10 G tanks, for I didn't want to waste precious space with bulky and unsighty thermostat-heaters.
I have loved them ever since. They cost me like 2-3 bucks, and come in 5 watt increments, from 5 to 75 I think. I haven't needed more than 40w.
It takes a little initial monitoring to see how it handles the job, and determine if I need to go up or down one size. In the summer I run them on the light timer, and get like a 1-1.5ºC warmer noon during the day. Have never had any problems. They also can be run safely inside the smaller AquaClears with a very minor sponge mod.

I don't know why don't more low-tech nano enthusiasts use them.

They'd work well with the pid controller you mentioned.

Cheers.

Do you have a link or something with more info? I've never seen those before
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Planted Member

Here's a better shot of one.

They are basically an electrical resistance sealed inside a pyrex tube, with some kind of sand as a filler.

Here's the link to that particular brand, with colour coded caps to indicate wattage. The green cord is a nice detail, but it's too short (2ft).

http://aquakril.com.mx/index.php?opt...=0&sort=normal

I prefer another brand that uses a slightly shorter tube with no print, clear sealant and a longer power cord.

I still have my big old thermostats in a drawer, and one in use in a QT, but I much prefer using these.

I haven't tried yet, but being as simple as they are, I believe they could be run on a rheostat if so desired.

Hope you can find something similar.

Cheers.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
My bad your right I should have stated that clearly, I edited the first post.

No problem. Just trying to help out.

I think I have a heater like that when I bought my 110g a few years ago.

10g RCS and show guppies

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I could see using a coffer cup heater in a bucket or garbage can as a heater for water prep. This is a short term use, then you put it away. Start with the water pretty close to where you want it, then use the coffee cup heater to be sure it stays until you are ready for it.
This implies that you are there, with it, so if there is a failure you can take care if it immediately.

I do not know if they will hold up to the many on-off cycles that would happen when they are in constant use in an aquarium, whether located in the tank itself or a sump. I sort of think of that thing as once a day or less often sort of use, and then only for a few minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode