Trust U- tube advise??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Trust U- tube advise???

This is an exaMPLE OF WHY u-TUBERS should not be trusted. Watch it and see if there's anything wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-vXJ4dOYc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did he say if he has well water or city water? I have rinsed bio media in my well water before with no issues. Just saying.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...49#post4205849

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe once again a missing something but he rinsed the mechanical filtration... ? Or do those things not have room for like bio balls, rings etc...? Not familiar with eheims

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

There's a ton of biomedia that was under the fine pad that he took out 2nd. Also looks like some kind of Britta-like device on the faucet which he might think is removing the chlorine as he's using it...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yea but he he didn't rinse any of the bio media then, just the pad, what little bit of water dechlorinated or not would be on the pad wouldn't destroy the bacteria not to mention as soon as it's kicked on it would flush it all through

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

This thread is a prime example of why I don't rely upon or trust any internet advice, this forum included. Snark and invective are not proof you are right, they are simply proof that you want others to agree with you. This has nothing to do with equipment, it is a pretty lazy op/ed that should go under general discussion.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not familiar with the Ecco's, I have a classic. Did he shut the valves first, then unplug it?! And then partially open the lid when it was hooked up and running?!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Am I missing something? I don't really see anything wrong. The foam pads were rinsed in tap water but the bio media was untouched.

Seems like a nice reference video on how to maintain the filter, but not necessarily THE definitive guide.

40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvitron View Post
This thread is a prime example of why I don't rely upon or trust any internet advice, this forum included. Snark and invective are not proof you are right, they are simply proof that you want others to agree with you. This has nothing to do with equipment, it is a pretty lazy op/ed that should go under general discussion.
What?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Has anyone ever done a test using regular tap water to wash off some biomedia and tested to see that 100% of your bacteria were killed off? Probably not.

Is chlorine bad, yes? Will it kill your entire filter rinsing it off in tap water? That part is probably more debatable.

When I kept turtles, I know a turtle keeper who had a big stock metal tube and 3 Rena filters just filled with sponges and pads. A few times a year he would break it down and hose it all down, having a snapping turtle in it, they get messy and never had a problem with cycles, spikes, etc. He posted an interesting article about actually showing the resistance of the bacteria that grows in our tanks and filters, I will try and find it again.

I know we are under the need "dechlor in our tap water" or it will kill your entire filter sort of idea, but I'm not sure how much it has been proven or just something that's better to dechlorinate for the sake of the fish but really doesn't affect our biofiltration to a huge extent, I'm not sure.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
This is an exaMPLE OF WHY u-TUBERS should not be trusted. Watch it and see if there's anything wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-vXJ4dOYc
I'm not quite sure what you saw to get your cockles up, but i saw a guy clean his filter the same way j have been cleaning mine for 30 years.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

How do those sayings go?

"There's more than one way to skin a cat, or six of one half dozen of the other, or eat drink and be merry."

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496
25g 60-P iwagumi , 33g iwagumi cube, 125g high tech, 7g cube, 12g long
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This thread reads like one post to many

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, so I've let this cook a while just to see what you all think of when you clean your filter. I've been in several discussions about how to do it and this one U-tube brings it all down to what I feel is a big problem with canister filters.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of users assume they know how and they ---

NEVER READ the directions!

Just think what a dull place a forum would be if users read the directions and avoided having trouble with their canisters!

My point is that one should read the directions before going to U-tube. The guy that built it likely knows what it takes to make it work well and last as long as possible. The U-tube may not.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Okay, so I've let this cook a while just to see what you all think of when you clean your filter. I've been in several discussions about how to do it and this one U-tube brings it all down to what I feel is a big problem with canister filters.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of users assume they know how and they ---

NEVER READ the directions!

Just think what a dull place a forum would be if users read the directions and avoided having trouble with their canisters!

My point is that one should read the directions before going to U-tube. The guy that built it likely knows what it takes to make it work well and last as long as possible. The U-tube may not.
Huh...?

So the guy on youtube did what wrong?

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode