The Planted Tank Forum banner

alternative to CO2 Reactor?

962 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  HD Blazingwolf 
#1 ·
Tank Info
125 Gallon (Dirt, with sand cap)
55 Gallon Sump

10 LB CO2 Tank

I have reduced my light and changed my plants to make my tank be some what low tech. I still have my CO2 running, but the reactor is always dirty and this thing is massive about 20 inches high. I have never had a problem getting the drop checkers to green or even yellow if I wanted to.

Do you think I could get away with removing the reactor and adding a few defuser in the sump right where the return pump is?

Thanks

#4 ·
You should get with tom(plantbrain). I know he usually just mists co2, using a seperate diy needlewheel pump in his sump, directed towards his return pump. Then seal off your sump and try to make it somewhat airtight. Downside is there will probably be some bubbles in the main tank.

I am OK with bubbles in the main tank to be honest. The problem now is this reactor is so big it a nightmare to try and pull out and clean. Half the time I spill water all over the floor and get annoyed with it.

Sump is already sealed so sounds like it would be rather simple, just need to figure out what equipment is needed.

THanks

#5 ·
Hey Jim,

I don't have a sump but I've read a bit about them. Why does the reactor get dirty? I'm wondering if you could fix this with a filter sock in your sump.

I know some people use a needle wheel pump in the sump, while a separate pump is used for the return. I think Gerry over at the Barr Report has this set up.

HTH.

#6 ·
taam rio's are cheap.. fit one of those in ur sump and run a line almost directly to the return pump, have the taam breakup the larger bubbles and the return pump do the rest.. it'll be misty but will work just fine

if the bubble count isn't too high, u can try just feeding it into the main return pump. i did that or a few months with no ill effects. just seemed more misty than i liked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.