piggybacking filters? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

piggybacking filters?

does linking multiple filters increase the gph/flow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I wouldn't feed the outflow of one canister filter into the inflow of another, if that's what you are talking about.

But you could easily run multiple filters on the same tank if you feel that you need extra filtration.

I'm not certain about this, but you might even be able to get away with using the same intake and outflow, just split it so the two filters run in parallel.

I think it would be safer (and probably simpler plumbing) to run them separately.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you joined two canister filters of the same type, I would guess that the flow might be slightly higher at the start. But that doesn't mean that it would be worthwhile. One can get far more flow by using the two as separate filters. One of the big downsides to joining them would be the way the first filter would clog sooner. Once the media in that filter is stopped up, any gain would be totally shut down.
Since filters are designed by people who do this full time for companies who do a lot of research on what works, I see very few people who can actually improve the results and can prove it with actual measurements.

As a person with a very strong DIY gene, I'm often tempted to try to improve things but filters are not a place where I mess with the design much. I find far more untested theory on the INTERNET than I find actual proven results with testing to back it.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My ultimate goal is to get more flow. However, I don't want any extra equipment in the tank i.e. powerheads, filter pipes. I only want 1 set of filter pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I wouldn't feed the outflow of one canister filter into the inflow of another, if that's what you are talking about.

But you could easily run multiple filters on the same tank if you feel that you need extra filtration.

I'm not certain about this, but you might even be able to get away with using the same intake and outflow, just split it so the two filters run in parallel.

I think it would be safer (and probably simpler plumbing) to run them separately.
Would I need to worry about one filter pulling or pushing more?

Anyone running multiple filters wanna give some experiences....?

How are you plumbing them?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Exie Send a message via Skype™ to Exie
Just get a twice-the-size you need input, and Y it off to two separate canisters once its out of the tank. Similar for the output - Y it off at twice the size.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2606 View Post
My ultimate goal is to get more flow. However, I don't want any extra equipment in the tank i.e. powerheads, filter pipes. I only want 1 set of filter pipes.

Would I need to worry about one filter pulling or pushing more?

Anyone running multiple filters wanna give some experiences....?

How are you plumbing them?
I haven't run multiples, but if the flow rates are at all similar, I would imagine that a Y from the intake and a Y from the outflow would suffice, as long as it was big enough to easily handle the combined flow rate.

Out of curiosity, what filters are you considering for this, and what's your tank?

I think that with a planted tank, it's generally a safe bet to undershoot the recommended GpH filtration rate, as the plants are going to be handling a lot of the filtration needs.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For two filters inline to pass more water, it would require the impellers to turn faster. In this case the impeller is turning in time with the 60 cycle AC current. Making it easier for it to turn will not greatly effect the rotation. The second impeller in line will really try to slow any increase in speed rather than turn faster.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Algae Grower

I have too much equipment(and to increase water circulation/flow throughout the whole tank) so I plan on doing this as well.

Okay, can't you run one intake pipe and a Y to connect to both canister then run both output to a Y with a slightly larger hose to one output?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Okay, can't you run one intake pipe and a Y to connect to both canister then run both output to a Y with a slightly larger hose to one output?
Yes.
Upsize the part of the plumbing where the flow is combined.
Example: If each filter used 1/2" tubing go with at least 3/4" for the inlet and outlet.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Algae Grower

FWIW, I've run two canister filters inline for years without a problem. My reasoning was purely speed of maintainence; I use the first canister (Fluval 104)essentially as a prefilter (it's packed with floss) and the second (Eheim 2224) purely as a bio-filter. I can change out the Fluval in five minutes as I can just whip out and discard all of the medium and completely replace with fresh without any concern for bacterial population or biological filtration (I use polyester cushion stuffing so it's extremely cheap to just discard). The second filter gets cleaned maybe once or twice a year as it never gets particularly dirty. Works a treat. Because there's no fussing about with buckets and cleaning out filter media in tank water, I find I tend service the Fluval very regularly and rapidly which keeps the tanks looking great.

In terms of flow, both filters have similar outputs, I think there's a net increase in pressure but not total output...

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
[Picture removed for brevity]

This comment is off topic, but the cat is adorable.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

You could also just get an external pump with a higher gph and run that inline of your filter. Essentially, the cannister will just hold media and the external pump will do all the work.

Schuber Wright 6 gal
Mr. Aqua 11.4 g...coming soon
30gal Journal - RIP
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Lol thank you for pointing that out I missed it at first.

When I first saw this thread, the first thing that popped into my head was piggy backed power filters! Some one do it now!

If you want more filter capacity without more plumbing in the tank, you can just add a few RO type filters canisters in line with your canister filter.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1542 View Post
Lol thank you for pointing that out I missed it at first.

When I first saw this thread, the first thing that popped into my head was piggy backed power filters! Some one do it now!

If you want more filter capacity without more plumbing in the tank, you can just add a few RO type filters canisters in line with your canister filter.

not looking for more filtration just flow. I only run a tray of bio rings and a purigen bag in another tray. I let the plants do most of the filtration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
agreed =)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm goin to run sunsun filters which are 3/4 to pvc then the output of the 3/4 pvc to 5/8. Same for the filter intake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode