Flexible filter tubing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Flexible filter tubing

Where can I buy soft flexible tubing similar to what is used on Python water changers? I purchased a Sun Sun filter and although the unit itself seems ok the tubing is kinda stiff, even after I put it in warm water. The intake and spray bars seem kinda crappy also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can buy flexible PVC tubing at Home Depot. Just find the right diameter (OD and ID).

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
You can buy flexible PVC tubing at Home Depot. Just find the right diameter (OD and ID).

I agree they have some good options there.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I checked Home Depot and the ones they had were very stiff. The stuff Python uses is really soft and bendable.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok because with my Rena filters they have stiff tubing where like you said I have a python and the tubing is softer.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Check USPlastic.com.

Tons of tubing options.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tygon works great but its a little pricey, basically the same type of tubing that rena uses with their xp cannisters. I personally like the Lee's brand pond tubing for a cheaper alternative. It's the black one. A lot more flexible than the clear stuff from home depot or even the lee's clear tubing. The small dieameter stuff doesn't kink. I've only used the 1.5" a couple times and that stuff kinked but it was more to do with the fact that the roll was almost done and I got the stuff that was already compressed. Any non big box lfs should carry that pond tubing.

Schuber Wright 6 gal
Mr. Aqua 11.4 g...coming soon
30gal Journal - RIP
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

I bought Tetra 3/4" and 1" pond hose at Lowes thinking the same thing when I redid my canister and plumbed the CO2 reactor system. Mistake! The sch.80 barbs are too big for it and you REALLY have to work to get that stuff together. THEN, the cracks began. The spiral part of the hose is tough as nails. The membrane thin plastic between the spirals got brittle and then just normal moving it around and wham, splitsville!

I redid it AGAIN with Lowes vinyl hose. I don't know about Tygon-soft, but it's plenty flexible for my use. If you get it TOO flexible it kinks!

Last edited by m00se; 11-25-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Tyvex? Really? lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've used tygon in the lab, and I've found stashes years (decades?) old that are still soft, flexible, and new-feeling.

Vinyl tubing seems to harden with age/use.

I've never bought tygon, so I've no clue where to get it or how expensive it is. Standard Vinyl tubing can be found at most hardware stores.

It might be worth looking into silicone tubing, I've seen some for sale in auto shops, and it's going to be more expensive, but should stay soft/flexible longer, and be more chemically/heat resistant (not really a concern for us, but...)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My local hardware store sells tubing, BUT

My Sun Sun filters tubing was also very stiff and very hard to maneuver, so I boiled it for a few minutes in a pot, and it was super easy to set up after that, and once cooled down it has stayed in that position and not given me any trouble at all. I suggest you try that. Just curl it up, put in pot, and boil for about 5 minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode