The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval G6 - Stay Away

42K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  57770 
#1 ·
All,

I have been using the Fluval G6 for almost a year now, while a great design in some places it really misses the mark for people who want to do a planted tank.

Save your money, get a Eheim 2217.

Fluval G6 - $315 @ Amazon
- 1 Gallon of Media
- 665 GPH Pump
- 265 GPH Filtration

Eheim 2217 - $145 @ Amazon
- 1.6 Gallon of Media
- 260 GPH Pump
- 224 GPH Filtration

#7 ·
I'm not sure about the complete list of parts, specifically, that people had troubles with, but I do know that they complained about having to clean the pre-filter on an almost-daily basis and that the impeller rotor was garbae, to name a few. When I was looking at a new filter, I looked at the G6, but was turned away at the extreme reviews (like blink said, either really good or really terrible). I just remember seeing a lot of people complaining that they had to keep fixing it all the time.

#9 ·
Sorry for the delay, I forgot to subscribe to this post.

My Unorganized Thoughts on the G6

The cost of the mechanical filtration is ~$25. This is expensive but it is positioned as reusable and highly cleanable. (Like most other sponge mechanical media.)

There are two options for mech. Micron or "Regular" I have tried both. Obviously the micro will clog sooner.

That said, when I initially setup the filter it was great. Flow was great, performance was great. (I upgraded from a 405 and had a noticeable improvement.)

After running this for a year with it unable to keep up with my planted tank I decided to give up on the filter and move it to my FOWLR Cichlid tank. 1 week in and have had no issues with clogging.

Improvements on G series compared to previous Fluval models:
- Smooth Tubing
- Opaque Tubing
- "Easy Maintenance" - You can just remove the mech and clean it. (Too bad this had to be done every other day or else flow would drop to almost zero.
- "Lots" of bio media space
- VERY quiet

Cons for the G6 series
- Expensive Media
- Every other day cleaning on planted tanks
- 1 Gallon of Media in a HUGE canister. (Eheim 2217 have 1.6 gallons of media in a smaller form factor)
- Introduces a lot of air bubbles into the tank. (This is due to the negative pressure in the canister as it begins to clog.)

#12 ·
You have two choices for mechanical filtration in this filter and its proprietary.
Run it without the pre-filter and it works great. Problem then is you risk clogging the impeller with detritus.

There is no sponge type mechanical media.

Regular Pre-Filter

- OR -

Fine Pre-Filter

If you look at the top of the cartridge there is a screw type joint which ties into the priming system.

Fluval tried to increase vendor lock in here. Their implementation is poor for planted aquariums. Moving this to my FOWLR Cichlid has stopped the clogging issues and it is running great.

So if you have just a freshwater tank or marine tank, by all means this filter is great. Planted tanks not so much.

#13 · (Edited)
For additional thoughts see this thread.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103919

There are 15 pages from G3 & G6 owners. I don't know where some of you are hearing all these horror stories? In all fairness to Fuval or any company if you don't have 1st hand or can't at least offer a link to some that has 1st hand info, don't post "product gossip".

ronaldvalente - I respect your thoughts as they are your opinions. I definitely don't agree with them :smile:

In my current 40gl (heavily planted) tank I don't have any of these concerns:

"Cons for the G6 series
- Expensive Media
Media came with unit - Don't understand how this is a problem???
- Every other day cleaning on planted tanks
I clean the Mechanical filter maybe 2Xs a month during a W/C, the Bio filter every 3mos
- 1 Gallon of Media in a HUGE canister. (Eheim 2217 have 1.6 gallons of media in a smaller form factor)
I don't understand how more media is a problem???
- Introduces a lot of air bubbles into the tank. (This is due to the negative pressure in the canister as it begins to clog.)"
It has to be pretty darn clogged-up to do this and is the filter clogged the filters fault or the Hobbyiest fault

:smile:

To be accurate I have the G3 which has a smaller filter area and a smaller motor. In my case, I don't even like Canister Filters. I always felt they were a PIA to clean and I'm getting too old to be crawling around under Aquarium stands. A canister can't do anything that a well made HOB can do. I bought my because of how easy it is to clean and under my open stand you see it. It doesn't even look like a filter, more like computer or stereo equipment.

If one can personal justify the higher co$t for the convinces offered in the "G" series go for it. That I honestly believe is the whole point. If someone would do an objective Side by Side test with any filter with approx. the same specs, I'm pretty sure they will both do the same thing.

I think it's a pretty common trend in our society to Poo-Poo equipment based on price and, I find even stranger, trying to justify quality when buying cheap knock-off equipment.

#16 ·
First off, appreciate all the comments!

I clean the Mechanical filter maybe 2Xs a month during a W/C, the Bio filter every 3mos.
That seems like a reasonable cleaning schedule to me, I did not experience this after running this filter for a year in my planted tank.

Media came with unit - Don't understand how this is a problem???
Mechanical filter replacements are $25, that is more expensive than a 4 dollar piece of sponge that Eheim uses. That is the only piece on any filter that you really need to replace. The issue here is the combination of the clogging/flow performance and the price of the media. I ended having to alternate between two mechanical cartridges so one would dry out so I could clean it more effectively.

I don't understand how more media is a problem???
The Eheim has more media, it was listed as a con because it has less media capacity than a filter half the cost. Sorry for the confusion.

It has to be pretty darn clogged-up to do this and is the filter clogged the filters fault or the Hobbyiest fault
I was cleaning every other day, so the clogging was not from neglect by any means. I agree that if a filter left for months and months, one would not have any room to complain. I think we can all agree on this forum that cleaning every other day is kind of absurd.

If issue is strictly related to the mechanical filtration performance of the filter. Biologically it is stellar, that said, if flow drops so does the effectiveness of your biological filtration.

Cleaning the mech. filter every 2 days is the issue with the G6, and as of now this was only the case on my planted tank. The tank it is on now is the FOWLR and it is running beautifully.

#19 ·
....Mechanical filter replacements are $25, that is more expensive than a 4 dollar piece of sponge that Eheim uses. That is the only piece on any filter that you really need to replace. The issue here is the combination of the clogging/flow performance and the price of the media. I ended having to alternate between two mechanical cartridges so one would dry out so I could clean it more effectively...
I do agree that the pre-filter cartridge is expensive. I found one at a LFS for $18 I bought it as a back-up. I've not had any trouble cleaning it with the brush they include. Now with the back-up I can not only clean it with the brush, I can bleach it and swap in the the back-up cartridge.

In everything equipment related in our hobby it's always a Co$t vs. Connivence question that, and to lessor extent appearance.

BTW - What's really ridiculous is the cost of that pretty grey hose :icon_roll
So, cut it right the 1st time.

#24 ·
Since the tank isn't in balance (no CO2) and you've got fish that love to stir things up, it makes sense that your filter would clog.

I'm an Eheim person but still can't see that it's the filter's fault.

At least things are beginning to be in check with your Eheim and you're adding CO2. Things will definitely improve.

#33 ·
G3 and G6

I have a G3 on a 12 gal. tank and a G6 on a 60 gal. tank, both planted tanks. I've had the G6 running for going on 2 years now and the G3 for a year. No problems with either one. I have to change the mechanical filter every week or two but it's so easy with these it's not a problem. In fact, easiest filter I've ever had. I change the chemical every 2 months and rinse the biological every 6 months. I've had several Eheims and these Fluvals are much easier to maintian in my opinion.

#34 ·
I have a G3 on a 12 gal. tank and a G6 on a 60 gal. tank, both planted tanks. I've had the G6 running for going on 2 years now and the G3 for a year. No problems with either one. I have to change the mechanical filter every week or two but it's so easy with these it's not a problem. In fact, easiest filter I've ever had. I change the chemical every 2 months and rinse the biological every 6 months. I've had several Eheims and these Fluvals are much easier to maintian in my opinion.
Agreed on the easy maint.

Do you *replace* or just *clean* the mechanical filter every week?

-R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.