The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eheim 2217 with 75g tank

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Rainer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am sure you all have seen a lot of my recent threads about me getting ready to convert my African Cichlid 75g to a planted tank. And I really do appreciate the help you all have given me. Sadly here comes another question :icon_eek:. It is just a lot different going from a 15g to a 75 gallon xD.

Currently on my 75 I have a fluval 305, and 2 AC 110s as filtration. After some thought, I decided I did not want the AC 110s on the tank when it becomes planted. Just dont want to look at em anymore :icon_roll. So I impulse bought an Eheim 2217 brand new in factory sealed box on sale for $115 bucks. I just diddnt want to pass up that good of a deal :).

Would you all think that a Fluval 305 and an Eheim 2217 would be enough for a planted tank? The only thing that is for sure going to be in my stocking list is Blue Rams ( if the tank can accommodate it, I would like to get 1 male and 1 female ). If you think it would be better to have all 4 filters running, I could do that as well :D. Any advice or opinions on the matter? All is welcome :D

Also does anyone have experience with Eheims? Particularly the 2217? From reviews people call them the "Cadillac" of canister filters. Thanks :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Cadillac? That 2217?

I like it because it's a very simple canister, with no bells and whistles that could go wrong.
It fits the spot between price and quality of material for me. Far from being luxurious, though.
There are plenty of more expensive filters out there.

#3 ·
I haven't had a classic but I have an ECCO (got it for $50 new) it isn't supposed to be ehiems best, but they are still good.

Classics are really good, there is no way that the water can pass the media. Also as stated, there aren't very many features on it, which is a benefit since they limit what can break, and it doesn't happen very much. They will run and run, forever! There is a reason why they havemt changed the design for hard and people still buy them, they are probably one of the best filter.

I do however, plan to buy a 2217 for a 34 gallon tank I am planning to put together.

#4 ·
I agree with other's on the Ehiem classic filter's.
On a side note,, if your water suited the African cichlid's who enjoy hard ,alkaline water,then it is doubtful the blue ram's will do well for very long for they very much prefer soft,acidic water.
You may be able to mix 50/50 tapwater, R/O water,and keep them thriving but may require some expierimenting to get mixture right for these soft water species.

#5 ·
A good deal and a very good filter. I have three 2217 and really have only one small item to change. I like to keep the loose media (macaroni and rocks?) in mesh bags so that they are easy to rinse out in a bucket of tank water. Newer designs have trays for the media.
How much filter is enough? Very much a personal item. I kept and bred about ten different African types and a single 2217 worked fine for me on my 75's. When I started adding plants, I saw no reason for more filtering. The plants were added to help use up some nitrate and it all seemed okay for me.
When I fell into a CO2 system, I moved it and the 2217 to a 125. I then added a 2075 to that tank.
Do you get enough mechanical filtering to keep the water clear?
Do you get enough bio filtering to keep all ammonia processed without overworking you and your water changing?
Do you have enough circulation to suit your taste?

If you answer yes to all those, what more can a filter do other than make more noise?
I try to keep things simple.

#7 ·
Yup

A good deal and a very good filter. I have three 2217 and really have only one small item to change. I like to keep the loose media (macaroni and rocks?) in mesh bags so that they are easy to rinse out in a bucket of tank water. Newer designs have trays for the media.
How much filter is enough? Very much a personal item. I kept and bred about ten different African types and a single 2217 worked fine for me on my 75's. When I started adding plants, I saw no reason for more filtering. The plants were added to help use up some nitrate and it all seemed okay for me.
When I fell into a CO2 system, I moved it and the 2217 to a 125. I then added a 2075 to that tank.
Do you get enough mechanical filtering to keep the water clear?
Do you get enough bio filtering to keep all ammonia processed without overworking you and your water changing?
Do you have enough circulation to suit your taste?

If you answer yes to all those, what more can a filter do other than make more noise?
I try to keep things simple.
I recently put a 2217 on a 55. Bought it at an auction. The seller told me he had it on a 90 gallon tank. It's great on a 55 (probably overkill), and I think it would be enough for most 75s, but PlantedRich points out the factors to consider.

#6 ·
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all the feedback.
I agree with other's on the Ehiem classic filter's.
On a side note,, if your water suited the African cichlid's who enjoy hard ,alkaline water,then it is doubtful the blue ram's will do well for very long for they very much prefer soft,acidic water.
You may be able to mix 50/50 tapwater, R/O water,and keep them thriving but may require some expierimenting to get mixture right for these soft water species.

As for this,I have always had to use seachems malawi buffer on my water. However, I will also be using ADA Aquasoil and if I am not mistaken, that will lower the softness and acidity of the water? Am I wrong in thinking this?

#8 ·
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all the feedback.

As for this,I have always had to use seachems malawi buffer on my water. However, I will also be using ADA Aquasoil and if I am not mistaken, that will lower the softness and acidity of the water? Am I wrong in thinking this?
Have not used or am familiar with ADA aquasoil. Hard to come by in U.S.
Dirt covered with sand for me.

#10 ·
I have a planted 75 gallon and use an Eheim 2217 on the tank. If you are using that plus a fluval 305 you should have MORE than enough filtration. I will say that I did add a powerhead to my tank to help improve the circulation. This becomes even more important if you are going to be using pressurized CO2. You don't want to have dead spots in the water!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.