The Planted Tank Forum banner

Question about setting up Co2 regulator

4K views 39 replies 4 participants last post by  Darkblade48 
#1 ·
Hello -

I am finally setting up a pressurized CO2 system after staring at a new empty intimidating CO2 tank for 5 years. I bought a nice regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums and it seems I misread the instructions on setting the low pressure gauge. It said to turn it to 10 and I did but afterward I realized it was not the 10 at the end of the dial, it was 10 psi on the inside dial - a much lower setting. Now I have no idea how to bring it back down. I have tried loosening the handle, shutting everything off and starting over - it is still dialed up all the way. Any advise for this dumb blonde?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Oh dear, you turned it to 10 bar and not 10 PSI? I'm surprised the regulator managed to actually deliver such a high output; please be careful, as the regulator's interior parts may break or the manometer (gauge) needle may become stuck.

In any case, if you back off the regulator (turning the knob counter clockwise), it will take some time for the gas that is remaining in the regulator to off gas.

To help the process along, just plug in the solenoid and open your needle valve all the way (counter clockwise turns). Ensure that the CO2 is not off gassing into your aquarium. Hopefully, the manometer needle is not stuck.

#3 ·
Turn the tank valve off then turn the regulator knob counter clockwise until no resistance is felt and open the needle valve all the way open and it should vent the excess pressure. Then open the tank valve before you turn the regulator knob clockwise until you get to 10 psi not 10 bar. If you open the tank valve with the regulator turned all the way clockwise it will ruin the low pressure gauge and the needle will peg out on the gauge. I hope you did not do that in the first place otherwise you will have to replace the low pressure gauge.

#5 ·
Also check the date on your co2 tank they have to be hydrotested every 5 years so if you have had it for 5 years I would trade it in instead of refilling otherwise it will have to be recertified which cost around $30.00 in my town. The date is stamped in the top where it first starts to get fat.

#7 ·
If it is a ceramic diffuser it will require more than 10 psi. More like 25-35psi. My up aqua inline diffuser runs at 22psi. The bubble counter will slow down to a stop once the pressure equalizes at 10psi. I kept raising it 5psi at a time until the bubble counter stabilized to find the working pressure I needed. ie raise it 5psi then wait until the bubble stops about 20-30 minutes or so and repeat until the bubble counter stops fluctuating then fine tune the needle valve.

#13 ·
Is it an in tank model if so it will definately have water in it. My inline model got water in it when I started it at 10 psi. Or you can turn the co2 off take it out of the tank disconnect the co2 tubing and empty the water out then reconnect it turn the co2 back to 36psi or 50psi before you put it back in the tank that way it wont have to push out the water.

#26 ·
If you get no bubbles at all then it is the needle valve or regulator. Unscrew the bubble counter cap where you fill it with water and see if you can blow through it if not something is clogging it the check valve is in the bottom of the bubble counter where it screws on the needle valve not the top so you should be able to blow through it if not it is clogged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.