The Planted Tank Forum banner

DiCi Regulator + Solenoid leak?

8K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  wlevine09 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought a DiCi regulator w/ a solenoid from AI, and when it shuts off at night with the timer, I can still see some leaking.. if I turn the valve up, more bubbles flow, then it goes back to a very slow pace (still slowly leaking). Is there possibly a leak? What's going on?

Any help appreciated,

Thank you!

Harshal.

#2 ·
How long does the leaking go on for? Some flow is expected after the solenoid closes, as the residual CO2 will still make its way out.

If there is still flow after (say) 1-2 hours after the solenoid is closed, then there might be some debris that is blocking the solenoid plunger from closing all the way.

A quick blast from your cylinder while the solenoid is open should blow out any debris (it might be best to take your needle valve and bubble counter, if they are present off when you do this)

#5 ·
The needle valve being crooked is another problem in itself (it will not affect the solenoid being able to close all the way).

As I asked before, how long after the solenoid shuts are you still seeing CO2? Even after my solenoid shuts, the gas flows for about 15-20 minutes afterwards.

#7 ·
Just a heads up. I also bought a Dici regulator back in January and I noticed another problem. At night when the solenoid went off, the working pressure slowly began going up from 35 psi, all the way to almost 100 psi. Another guy in Toronto who had the same issue but his went as high as 60 psi. I ended up removing the regulator on the advice of several people aquarium and gas people, and the thing's been sitting on a shelf ever since. Something you want to keep an eye out for.

#9 ·
If the pressure is 60 PSI when your solenoid is open, then that means your delivery pressure is set too high.

If the pressure is within a reasonable range when your solenoid is open (i.e. say 20-30 PSI), but then increases to 60 PSI when the solenoid is closed, it may become a problem (most solenoids are designed to hold back at least 100 PSI, but it depends on the solenoid).

@exv152: What was the cause of the increase in pressure?

#17 ·
As Bettatail mentioned, it would be a little worrying, since it is possible that the seal is not really stopping the leak of CO2.

If the pressure continues to rise past the point where the solenoid cannot hold it back, you will probably begin to get leakage.

#24 ·
This may be unrelated or related to this topic, I have no idea. I recently fixed my sleeping pattern (Now going to bed at 12, waking up at 7:30 - 8 instead of sleeping at like 5 and waking up at 3), but I feel tired in the middle of the day, around 12. My planted aquarium is in my room, and I was wondering if the CO2 cylinder may be a cause for my sleepiness?

#26 ·
You're just like me. I like to go to bed around 5-6 am and then wake up at 2 pm or so.

If I try to "fix" my schedule to 12 am - 7 or 8 am instead, I get tired by 1 pm anyway, regardless if I am in my room or at work.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about the CO2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.